Premed 101 Forums

Western Accepted/Waitlisted/Rejected 2019-2020

Result: Accepted (London) :) Speechless!

Timestamp: 8:54am EST

2-year GPA: 3.92

MCAT: 128/129/129

Interview: In person... was a little unsure how this went as I was the first person done by 15 minutes... panel was a little unresponsive/cold but otherwise I think it went okay. Looking back, I think there were some areas to improve on but I did my best to be myself and show my critical thinking skills especially with scenario-type questions. 

Year: 4th year UG

Geography: SWOMEN

Politely declining this offer for another school :)

Result: Accepted (Unspecified campus)

Timestamp: 9:02am ET

2-year GPA: 3.89

MCAT: 130/129/130

Interview: Online. I thought it was fine, but it was hard to get a read on the panel with the nature of the interview. Had a couple moments where I felt I really connected with the panel and gave solid answers, but I also rambled and went in circles for a couple questions.

Year: gap year, post undergrad.

Geography: Non-SWOMEN

My only interview and offer so I will definitely be accepting!

Result: Accepted (London Campus) - knocked the wind out of me

Timestamp: 9:02 AM

2-year GPA: 3.86 cGPA: 3.3 (There's always hope)

MCAT: 129/126/129

Interview: (In person) Was honoured to have an interview and felt great about it but slowly doubted myself as the months went by.

Year: Currently working - Finished undergrad last year

Will be Accepting

Edited by Hunnicutt
Campus Assignment

Result: Normal Waitlist

Timestamp: 9:08am

2-year GPA: 4.0

MCAT: 127/127/132

Interview: Virtual - felt it was the 2nd best of my 4. I was a bit shaky at the beginning but really came on during the latter half of the interview. 

Year: 4th 

I will be removing myself from the waitlist. Best of luck to everyone waiting!

Result: Accepted!! (unspecified)

Timestamp: 8:58AM

2-year GPA: 3.97

MCAT: 130/129/129

Interview: In person. Genuinely thought it was bad, and that's not just me catastrophizing all interviews. I had another interview that I thought went well (got waitlisted there). Assumed I would get an R and was very pleasantly surprised

Year: Graduated UG in 2019

Plan to accept, feel free to DM any questions

Result: ACCEPTED (unspecified)

Timestamp: 9:02AM

2-year GPA: 3.95

MCAT: 129/126/128/132 (515)

Interview: In person interview. I came out feeling like I did well, but it was really hard to gauge it. There were some impressive things on my application I really wanted to talk about in the interview but didn't get a chance to. Worked out in the end!

Year: Graduated from Masters, been working for a Bay St. firm for about a year.

Will be accepting since this is my only offer.

Result: ACCEPTED (London)

Timestamp: 9:02AM

2-year GPA: 3.8

MCAT: 129/129/129/129 (519)

Interview: Online interview, came out feeling really great felt it was my best interview. 

Year: Graduated from Masters, been working for in Biotech in Halifax. 

Geography: Halifax, NS

Not sure yet, deciding between queens/western/dalhousie. 

•  

Result: High Waitlist (Unspecified campus)

Timestamp: 9:04 AM

2-year GPA: 3.93

MCAT130/127/129

Interview: In person, felt great coming out of it then immediately felt terrible about everything i said.

Year: Gap year

Result: High Waitlist 

Timestamp: 9:04 AM

2-year GPA: 3.8

MCAT130/128/131

Interview: In person. Felt OK and like i could have prepared more, and think this is what pulled me down since GPA doesn't seem to be a major player in acceptances. 

Year: Gap year, working

Result: Accepted (London)

Timestamp: 9:01 am EST

MCAT: 129/131/130

Interview: In-person. I practiced a fair bit, once or twice a week starting in November, though slacked off near the end. I read a lot of articles online about ethics, healthcare issues, and news, which was really helpful for interview questions. I went through my personal activities and thought about what I learned from them and how it applied to medicine, and how to talk about it concisely (which was hard). For critical thinking/ethics issues, I tried to be honest about my limitations and lack of knowledge, and how I would address that. I tried to frame some questions from my own experiences growing up in a low SES family and the hardships we faced, not just in terms of health. I rambled a bit and went way overtime during my actual interview though, and I'm pretty sure I didn't actually finish answering all the interview questions LOL. But I guess it worked out somehow. I started off pretty good, rambled a bit in the middle as I got tired, then ended off okay but not finishing all the questions I think. I don't think I really personally connected with my interviewers or made them laugh, they were pretty neutral for the whole thing. But I overheard them discussing my interview after I had left the room (I couldn't make out actual words of course) and it seemed to be pretty active, positive chatter. So I felt pretty good about the whole thing, like a 4/5. Glad it worked out!

Year: Graduated, working 

Growing up poor and without access to much support or connections, I was never really sure I could get or afford a university education or even be a doctor. When I was finally able to afford university tuition, this made it hard to do well in school and I ended with a 3.5~ cumulative GPA. Nevertheless, I didn't want to give up and after 3 cycles, I'm so excited to hear the good news today. I'm grateful to everyone (family, friends, coworkers, supervisors) who supported me or took a chance on me -- it's been a team effort and I'm excited to give back going forward.

I've accepted this offer.

8 minutes ago, iwearglasses said:

Do we have to accept/decline anything on the student portal? I'm not sure what that button is there for..

I believe just on OMSAS.

Can someone who has firmly accepted respond to this? I have a question about the followup email I received after

Result: Accepted (London)!!!!

Timestamp: 12:01am (online portal)

2-year GPA: ~3.96

MCAT: 131/128/131

Interview: In person - I practiced quite a bit and felt really comfortable with the panel, I'm glad that they felt the same!

Year: M.Sc.

I have accepted this offer, I am so excited to join this class!

Timestamp: 9:04am EST

2-year GPA: 3.895

MCAT: 129/126/129

Interview: Online. This was my first cycle applying so I really had no idea what I was walking into, but I spent almost a full month preparing for my interview. Leaving the interview I felt really good about it. I was able to highlight important experiences and made it clear how much I wanted to make a difference in the lives of others. During the scenario-type questions I felt kind of iffy for at least 1 of them. The interviewers were very friendly and one of them really seemed to take an interest in my experiences. Over the past ~1 month I really started doubting my answers and thought I could have improved them. I finished the interview almost 15 minutes early, so I was asked a couple of extra questions about my experiences, but overall had a good feeling about the interview.

Year: Not sure. Took a 5th year and graduated in 2019. Was currently taking some pre-requisite courses over the 2019-2020 year as a part-time non-degree student. Not sure if this would count as a 6th year or a gap year. 

Geography: Non-SWOMEN, IP

I interviewed at Ottawa as well, but was placed on the waitlist this morning. Western was my #1 choice and I am so grateful and beyond ecstatic that I have received an offer. Never in a million years would I have thought I'd be going to medical school here in Ontario, especially with my CARS score :| . My cGPA was ~3.6 which isn't amazing for most people, but I worked extremely hard to bring it up to this after an incredibly shaky start in my first year (~D+ average). I wrote the MCAT twice, with a score of 513 the first time, and then a 511 the second time (went from 124 in CARS to a 126 in CARS though). At this point I had 0 confidence in myself but decided to apply anyways through the ACCESS Pathway. Despite the tears and disappointment, it all paid off in the end. Moral of the story: please, please, please don't give up. This forum and **DELETED** have been incredibly insightful, and I want to help pay it forward using my own experiences, so if anyone has any questions or needs advice, message me and I will do everything I can to help you out. Congratulations to everyone offered admission, you will all make amazing doctors! To everyone who has been wait-listed, be proud of how far you have made it. Simply getting an interview invite is an incredible accomplishment and I sincerely hope everything works out in your favour!!! Never give up on your dreams people, I promise you it'll work out in the end. 

Result: Accepted (will be accepting this offer! western is my second choice school so I'd only turn down this offer if I get off the waitlist at my top choice in the next two weeks lol) 

Timestamp: midnight? lol

2-year GPA: 3.97

MCAT: 131/129/132

Interview: **in person

Year: 4th yr undergrad

1 hour ago, conbrio said:

Timestamp: 9:01 am EST

MCAT: 129/131/130

Interview: In-person. I practiced a fair bit, once or twice a week starting in November, though slacked off near the end. I read a lot of articles online about ethics, healthcare issues, and news, which was really helpful for interview questions. I went through my personal activities and thought about what I learned from them and how it applied to medicine, and how to talk about it concisely (which was hard). For critical thinking/ethics issues, I tried to be honest about my limitations and lack of knowledge, and how I would address that. I tried to frame some questions from my own experiences growing up in a low SES family and the hardships we faced, not just in terms of health. I rambled a bit and went way overtime during my actual interview though, and I'm pretty sure I didn't actually finish answering all the interview questions LOL. But I guess it worked out somehow. I started off pretty good, rambled a bit in the middle as I got tired, then ended off okay but not finishing all the questions I think. I don't think I really personally connected with my interviewers or made them laugh, they were pretty neutral for the whole thing. But I overheard them discussing my interview after I had left the room (I couldn't make out actual words of course) and it seemed to be pretty active, positive chatter. So I felt pretty good about the whole thing, like a 4/5. Glad it worked out!

Year: Graduated, working 

Growing up poor and without access to much support or connections, I was never really sure I could get or afford a university education or even be a doctor. When I was finally able to afford university tuition, this made it hard to do well in school and I ended with a 3.5~ cumulative GPA. Nevertheless, I didn't want to give up and after 3 cycles, I'm so excited to hear the good news today. I'm grateful to everyone (family, friends, coworkers, supervisors) who supported me or took a chance on me -- it's been a team effort and I'm excited to give back going forward.

I've accepted this offer.

congrats :)