Premed 101 Forums

May 12 Countdown Thread 2020

1 hour ago, BSLM13 said:

Also in the same boat... definitely cringing at my uottawa interview the most though, because I know I didn't answer things the way I wanted to... and was super distracted by what they were circling the entire time lol. 

Saaaame. Same. I get random flashes of Ottawa's interview in my head. I'd be doing dishes and boom i get a flash and I start to cringe. I legit have to have Netflix or music playing in my ears constantly so I don't have those silent moments.

10 minutes ago, MDLD said:

Just wondering, what do you think Mac will do next year. Since there is a high good chance Covid won't be 100% resolved and that large groups of people as well as travel will be restricted. 

Like if would they do the lottery system again or add a component now or do an online interview.

And if they do an online interview then like why not have done it this year. 

Online interiew

Not enough time to coordinate

6 minutes ago, theinbetween said:

Saaaame. Same. I get random flashes of Ottawa's interview in my head. I'd be doing dishes and boom i get a flash and I start to cringe. I legit have to have Netflix or music playing in my ears constantly so I don't have those silent moments.

me @ my UofT interview lmmaooooooo thinking about the absolute drivel I was spewing into my camera for 5 minutes makes me cringe 

Just now, William Osler said:

Online interiew

Not enough time to coordinate

other schools were able move it to online and some even did it in the later half of april so I think if they really wanted to time was not an issue. 

3 minutes ago, GooGooGaGa said:

me @ my UofT interview lmmaooooooo thinking about the absolute drivel I was spewing into my camera for 5 minutes makes me cringe 

Oh God and I'm assuming you have those videos on your laptop, too? I hope you didnt rewatch them. But I know I would.. no self control with this stuff :lol:

11 minutes ago, William Osler said:

Maybe lack of effort I guess - do any other schools do a full 2 hour 10 station MMI like Mac does for 550 applicants tho

Can confirm - NOSM has 10 MMI stations...not 550 interviewees though, but 320ish. Also, only half of the interviews went online, the other half were completed before COVID ramped up

Just now, GooGooGaGa said:

I couldnt bring myself to watch it once lmao straight to the trash where they (and I) belong 

Hahaha. You know whats weird. I don't have the most vivid memory but for some reason I can remember every single thing that I did wrong aka the entire thing at my interview. I feel like Raven from That's So Raven when she gets those flashes. I bet my face looks so odd at the grocery store wearing my mask and randomly I get a flashback on my horrid answers and my terrible handshake while starring for a solid 60 seconds at the tomatoes I'm reaching for

27 minutes ago, theinbetween said:

Hahaha. You know whats weird. I don't have the most vivid memory but for some reason I can remember every single thing that I did wrong aka the entire thing at my interview. I feel like Raven from That's So Raven when she gets those flashes. I bet my face looks so odd at the grocery store wearing my mask and randomly I get a flashback on my horrid answers and my terrible handshake while starring for a solid 60 seconds at the tomatoes I'm reaching for

ME TOOOOO my interview answers haunt me every day...... why can't i remember stuff this well for exams

So... how is this lottery system going to work?

1) They could numerically assign you from 101-452 and cut the waitlist off at roughly ~330 people. This means that your waitlist rank is also randomly generated meaning you could very well be at the bottom of the waitlist despite a high pre-interview score

OR

2) Random assignment to one of the 3 bins--accepted, rejected, waitlisted, (with higher weight to the waitlist bin). And then a waitlist rank is assigned based on pre-interview score

1 minute ago, HeyMrSnowman said:

1) They could numerically assign you from 101-452 and cut the waitlist off at roughly ~330 people. This means that your waitlist rank is also randomly generated meaning you could very well be at the bottom of the waitlist despite a high pre-interview score

OR

2) Random assignment to one of the 3 bins--accepted, rejected, waitlisted, (with higher weight to the waitlist bin). And then a waitlist rank is assigned based on pre-interview score

In my opinion, it doesn't make sense to rank people within the waitlist after outright rejecting people via the lottery. I think waitlist position will likely be random as well

Just now, SoftTings said:

In my opinion, it doesn't make sense to rank people within the waitlist after outright rejecting people via the lottery. I think waitlist position will likely be random as well

So people who are not top 100 are under no circumstances given a chance to be evaluated based on merit? I thought waitlist would be everyone's saving grace lmao 

6 minutes ago, HeyMrSnowman said:

OR

Seems like a good question for Wendy!