Premed 101 Forums

OT/PT accepted/waitlist/decline forum - 2021 cycle

On 1/7/2021 at 9:27 AM, heathermarley said:

Do you know if this counts if some of those courses were taken in a part-time semester instead of full-time? I took a 5th year and only took 3 courses (each was 0.5 credits) each semester instead of 5, so will they count these grades individually as 6 courses or somehow as group? 

Yup, that would count :)

Applied + PT: McMaster, Toronto, Queens, Western, UBC
Accepted:
Waitlisted:
Rejected:
GPA:c-gpa 3.68 and s-gpa 3.77
Perceived strength of essays/interviews/references: 1200 hours as respite worker for lady with SMA, 150 hours physio neurorehabilitation practice, 100 hours as a yoga teacher, 300 hours peer support volunteer, 100+ hours mental health program coordinator, good references and essays seem strong, UBC for undergrad and ontario resident 

On 1/6/2021 at 8:43 PM, futureOT2021 said:

You are correct though. So in your case, you have 6.5 credits before looking at your third year. Your third year has 2.5 in second semester so you take all of those and get 9.0 then you take the average of the first semester grades and use that number twice (1.0)

oh okay great! Just wondering why you wouldn't average your whole third year (so 3.5 credits out of the 10 credits) instead of just doing the first semester? 

I was wondering if anyone knows around what date do schools usually give you an answer/update on the application progress for OT? 

I know UBC sends an email for interview around mid Feb but I am not sure about Dalhousie, U of A, McMaster, University of Toronto or Queens? 

Good luck everyone! 

I am also applying to Dal OT, but yes they are very slow with their response :( Hopefully they update my reference letter status soon! I don't know if Dal does any interviews, I think they just look at your supplementary docs (your personal essay, etc.), GPA, and reference letters... Anyone know anything about dal OT?

On 1/11/2021 at 2:06 PM, happyeveryday said:

Is anyone here applying to Dalhousie OT? If so, do you know if the 1500 character limit for the personal statement is with or without spaces? 

Thanks!

I think they have the specific section for the personal statement so I don't think they will have any limit on the spaces. And yes they take so long to respond to an email :(

14 hours ago, DALOT2021 said:

14 hours ago, DALOT2021 said:

I am also applying to Dal OT, but yes they are very slow with their response :( Hopefully they update my reference letter status soon! I don't know if Dal does any interviews, I think they just look at your supplementary docs (your personal essay, etc.), GPA, and reference letters... Anyone know anything about dal OT?

OMG! They have not sent my references their forms either....... and you should take a look at the FAQ Pdf document! Its very helpful. 

18 hours ago, DALOT2021 said:

They don't do interviews! So admissions is based on everything else you said. Im having trouble finding the Dalhousie banner number that were supposed to enter in the supplementary application does anyone know where to find it? 

1 hour ago, AcceptMeOT said:

They don't do interviews! So admissions is based on everything else you said. Im having trouble finding the Dalhousie banner number that were supposed to enter in the supplementary application does anyone know where to find it? 

I was a former dal student so I have my original banner number... but make sure to email FGS they are a lot faster than OT admissions department!

5 hours ago, OT-InTheMaking-2020 said:

OMG! They have not sent my references their forms either....... and you should take a look at the FAQ Pdf document! Its very helpful. 

when did you submit your grad application? I heard they take 3-5 business days to get the reference forms emailed to your referees. I paid for my online application in early December and it only took like ~2 days to get it emailed to my profs.

On 1/12/2021 at 9:22 PM, rlerin said:

I was wondering if anyone knows around what date do schools usually give you an answer/update on the application progress for OT? 

I know UBC sends an email for interview around mid Feb but I am not sure about Dalhousie, U of A, McMaster, University of Toronto or Queens? 

Good luck everyone! 

I believe once applications are submitted to the schools from ORPAS, some schools will send you an acknowledgement email. I think I got ones from Mac & Western, but not from Queens. After that, I don’t believe there is any contact (at least from the schools I mentioned) until offer day apart from Mac which sends out emails (early march?) for MMI offers/rejections. There’s not much for them to say to applicants until the decisions have been made!

7 hours ago, ZZZ1 said:

Hi! Has anyone requested transcripts be sent at the end of their Fall term through ORPAS and their status is still pending?? Also, if you're applying to OT Dal do we just need to submit two copies of our transcripts to otadmissions@dal.ca? 

Mine says pending still too and yes. two copies and cc" grad studies as indicated on their FAQ PDF 

5 hours ago, OT-InTheMaking-2020 said:

Mine says pending still too and yes. two copies and cc" grad studies as indicated on their FAQ PDF 

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but is the two copies of a transcript applicable to emailed PDFs? Can't they just download the file twice? Or do they really want an email with the transcript uploaded twice? 

3 minutes ago, OTHopeful2021 said:

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but is the two copies of a transcript applicable to emailed PDFs? Can't they just download the file twice.. or do they really want an email with the transcript uploaded twice? 

https://cdn.dal.ca/content/dam/dalhousie/pdf/faculty/faculty-health-professions/occupational-therapy/FAQs_for_admission_Aug_2020.pdf

I found this the most helpful with the confusing application process..... lol 

On 1/15/2021 at 6:44 PM, OT-InTheMaking-2020 said:

Thank you! I hate how confusing applications are. I swear sometimes it feels like I'm on a scavenger hunt lol. I'm wondering if it's worth it to email Dal about if 2 copies are also needed through email

On 1/15/2021 at 7:07 PM, OT-InTheMaking-2020 said:

Thanks! Did your school let you cc grad studies? I have to request official transcripts online and they won't let me cc, I wonder if it's really important to the application

First time poster, long time lurker here!

Applied + PT: McMaster, Toronto, Queens, UBC (BC resident)
Accepted:
Waitlisted:
Rejected:
GPA:c-gpa 3.25 and s-gpa 3.83/4.33
Perceived strength of essays/interviews/references: -100 hours working alongside a kinesiologist rehabilitating injured athletes and individuals from car accidents and training injuries etc. -70 hours volunteering with a rehabilitation assistant in walking and training elderly care home residents. -30 hours shadowing a chronic pain physiotherapist. -Over 300 hours of athletic training (same kinesiologist I volunteered under). ~50 hours as a facilitative science teacher (student job) to elementary school students through Science World in Vancouver.  -Over 200 hours of performing Chinese cupping therapy. -Conducted my own fundraiser to support the Farmers Protest recently. -Research experience and training as I am a biology major which includes a study tour, meta-analysis, and field studies. Also believe to have a very good CASPer score. GPA is my weakest point however I saw individuals get into UBC last year with a 3.9 !

I've applied to PT for Queens, Mac, Western and uOttawa, but I've only received emails from uOttawa and Mac to set up accounts and everything, and I haven't heard anything from Queens or Western? Anyone else? It's been about three weeks. Or have some of you gotten confirmation emails from them once applying to set up accounts? 

2 hours ago, PTbm said:

I've applied to PT for Queens, Mac, Western and uOttawa, but I've only received emails from uOttawa and Mac to set up accounts and everything, and I haven't heard anything from Queens or Western? Anyone else? It's been about three weeks. Or have some of you gotten confirmation emails from them once applying to set up accounts? 

I haven’t received any emails. Can you share the email addresses they came from?