Premed 101 Forums

OT/PT accepted/waitlist/decline forum - 2021 cycle

4 hours ago, OtOt21 said:

I'm looking for some advice from anyone who has upgraded their GPA to make it more competitive.

Would I simply redo courses I did poorly in during my undergrad, or can I do courses I didn't do during my degree and it still count towards the GPA they look at? 

The same for schools that only look at your last 2 years. Would it be pointless to redo courses from 1st year, for example? 

I plan on e-mailing the individual schools to see what they say, but I thought I would ask here first to see others experience.

Hey! I took some additional courses in the summer after my 4th year to boost my GPA (I took a writing course and re-took physiology as I was applying for PT). After upgrading my GPA I ended up getting into Mac OT and off the waitlist at Western PT, Mac PT and Queen's PT. When calculating my sub-GPA they just took my 20 most recent courses (including the summer courses). From my understanding, you could just take any course (doesn't necessarily have to be a re-take unless you are boosting pre-reqs) and that will go towards your new sub-GPA calculation. I would recommend just taking something you're interested in and think you'll do well in! Good idea to check with the individual schools though too

12 minutes ago, PTTTTTl9987 said:

Hey! I took some additional courses in the summer after my 4th year to boost my GPA (I took a writing course and re-took physiology as I was applying for PT). After upgrading my GPA I ended up getting into Mac OT and off the waitlist at Western PT, Mac PT and Queen's PT. When calculating my sub-GPA they just took my 20 most recent courses (including the summer courses). From my understanding, you could just take any course (doesn't necessarily have to be a re-take unless you are boosting pre-reqs) and that will go towards your new sub-GPA calculation. I would recommend just taking something you're interested in and think you'll do well in! Good idea to check with the individual schools though too

Would you mind sharing your sgpa if your comfortable? 

11 hours ago, Futureptgirl said:

For Ontario students - when you firmly accepted an offer- on ORPAS does the firmly accepted response show up as a hyperlink and then when you click it …does it say to choose to firmly accept or cancel? I’m so confused. 

This is what mine showed up as. I got a confirmation email and number, but was worried I did something wrong. When I clicked firmly accept and tried to re-submit, it told me no new changes were being made. I called ORPAS (twice, because I am paranoid) and they told me they received the offer and I double checked with the school and they told me they received my acceptance. 

Applied + (PT or OT?): McMaster PT, UofT PT, Western PT, Queen's PT, McMaster OT, Western OT
Accepted: Western PT, Queen's PT, Mac OT (off waitlist #23) 
Waitlisted: Mac OT, UofT PT
Rejected: Mac PT, Western OT
GPA:c-gpa 3.58 and s-gpa 3.89
Perceived strength of essays/interviews/references:

My Mac PT interview went terribly so I'm not surprised I got rejected. Since it was the first one I really had no idea what to expect and blanked :'( Only advice I can give to future applicants would be to stay calm and practice looking into the camera and smiling! I got really nervous and scatterbrained which really showed in my responses. My Mac OT interview was better than KiraTalent. Since it was my second interview, I had some practice and having actual interviewers to talk to was much easier for me than just talking to the camera. 

I must've done well on the personal submissions and CASPER though since I got into Western and Queen's PT. I do enjoy and am confident in my writing, and I got a post-doc and a current PT student to read over my submissions (something I recommend for future applicants!). I did my best to relate PT core competencies to my experiences. I likely didn't get into Western OT because I didn't answer really the question of why I wanted to go to Western. I didn't think they actually looked at the personal submissions since they say on the website that they rank based on subGPA and CASPER, but they must've! That or the CASPER cut off is higher than for Western PT? 

I really thought I did well on CAP but unfortunately I was waitlisted at UofT :'( I might have tried too hard to fit things in that I mentioned in my Western and Queen's submissions instead of focusing on answering the specific questions well. My responses might also have been too generic to stand out. Future applicants, make sure you read the questions carefully, and make your responses reflect who you are!

I had good relationships with my references (the prof who supervised me for my lab study course and a PT who I worked for as a research assistant). 

Volunteering/extra-curriculars: Two independent lab study projects, RA for a PT clinical study in the ICU, RA for a medical education program, VP admin for a club, volunteer for a community rehab program.

I wish all future applicants good luck! The application process was rough but I really learned a lot. I hope this post helps provide some insight and you can learn from my mistakes :') Congratulations to everyone who got through the process this cycle! 

On 6/4/2021 at 3:00 PM, PTPT12345 said:

Just got off the waitlist for Queens and Western PT today, I previously provisionally accepted to Ottawa. I will be accepting my offer to Queens so there will be movement for Ottawa and Western, best of luck!

Would you mind telling me if you were a Ontario applicant? Im on the Quebec side on waiting list.

1 hour ago, Ihopetobeapt said:

42…. I’m not actually expecting to get in but holding onto a sliver of hope - I remember you saying you were mid 30’s right? Let me know if you hear! Would be nice to at least know where they are in the list… 

Ya I’m 32 I’ll let you know if I hear anything!