Premed 101 Forums

May 12 Countdown Thread 2020

24 minutes ago, guacamole17 said:

wait - do you think that schools only send offers to OMSAS or all results? If so - it wouldn't make sense that the button means rejection right?

also for the record - i have the button (3.95 GPA 129 CARS)

what campus did u put as ur first choice?

can anyone else just not mentally picture themselves getting accepted? like i have decent stats and I don't think my interviews went poorly but I just cannot picture a scenario in my head in which I get accepted lol, everytime I picture the results email it's just so much easier to imagine a rejection

Just now, short_stack said:

Hey me too! Mac was my only interview and I'm DEFINITELY a lottery person because my GPA sucks. My anxiety is invading my dreams, I cannot wait for this to be over soon lol. I'm happy to talk if you need 

I had a nightmare I got in... and then my younger sister told me... all happy... only it turns out SHE got in somehow, and I got rejected... and then she kept laughing at me...........

5 minutes ago, TheWayIAre said:

can anyone else just not mentally picture themselves getting accepted? like i have decent stats and I don't think my interviews went poorly but I just cannot picture a scenario in my head in which I get accepted lol, everytime I picture the results email it's just so much easier to imagine a rejection. 

I can. I just don't allow myself to do that lol because it makes me too hopeful. :mad:

4 minutes ago, icymeia said:

I had a nightmare I got in... and then my younger sister told me... all happy... only it turns out SHE got in somehow, and I got rejected... and then she kept laughing at me...........

Aw I totally get where you're coming from. I had such weird anxiety dreams last night and one of them was some random person being rude and telling me I got rejected because I didn't believe in The Button theory LMAO (I'm still inclined to think it might be meaningless haha)

Honestly, I'm more afraid of my anxiety fueled dreams than I am of just facing the hours slowly ticking away so I'm probably not sleeping until this is over :unsure:

Just now, short_stack said:

Aw I totally get where you're coming from. I had such weird anxiety dreams last night and one of them was some random person being rude and telling me I got rejected because I didn't believe in The Button theory LMAO (I'm still inclined to think it might be meaningless haha)

Honestly, I'm more afraid of my anxiety fueled dreams than I am of just facing the hours slowly ticking away so I'm probably not sleeping until this is over :unsure:

As someone who doesn't have a button, I 100% believe in button = offer because I am pessimistic :(

4 hours ago, inkbat said:

mac: definitely on the lottery list due to low GPA and avg CARS... also no button which gives me a bad feeling about the result. just hoping to be at least waitlisted at this point :/

western: felt pretty good about the interview and got positive vibes from the panel. not SWOMEN tho, not sure if that puts me at a disadvantage. feeling most confident about this one.

queen’s: felt fine about the MMI and great about the panel. felt a lot less confident about my chances here after finding out that panel may be more of a checkmark in the selection process.

the anxiety is real rn :( im gonna speak about how i felt about my interviews from both cycles: 

2018/19:

ottawa - did not go well --> bad waitlist

mac --> meh, some stations went better than others - did not feel that i bombed anything  --> waitlist

u of t --> thought it went really well and related with all my interviewers --> waitlist 

2019/2020:

ottawa --> much better than last year's interview -->  hopefully good waitlist 

queen's --> (in person) couldn't really tell how my MMI went, but panel went well --> guessing waitlist 

u of t --> online interviews, have no clue how it went, it was super unnatural but i did my best --> hopefully offer 

mac --> most likely in the lottery given my CARS score --> hope it turns out in my favour 

all this info is to really say its extremely difficult to predict your own performance and whether or not that translates into an offer. Last year i had an extremely rough time accepting my failure and completely broke down with no backup plan/zero clue what to do with my life for an entire year. this isn't an easy process and has the potential to break you as a person. remember regardless of the outcome, that if you want to pursue a career in medicine - keep doing it until you succeed. 

i'll leave you with the stockdale paradox - this has resonated with me at a deep level and has helped me cope with my failure during difficult times. even if it doesn't work out this year - i hope you keep trying! 

"The Stockdale Paradox": you must maintain unwavering faith that you can and will prevail in the end, regardless of the difficulties, and at the same time, have the discipline to confront the most brutal facts of your current reality, whatever they might be.

good luck to everyone - sorry for the long post 

7 minutes ago, med97 said:

Hey could you please elaborate if you don't mind, what exactly didn't go well for you in Ottawa interview last year, as this is one of rare instances where feeling after did interview did correlate!! And it's nice to hear this year went better (what was different this year?) Thank you!

2018/19 - i was just super nervous and kinda froze during some of the questions and didn't respond to them as i would expect an applicant to - the panel was also super cold and that did not help -  i could've been better prepped 

this year - i did more practice and prep - felt more comfortable with my answers and although cliche - i genuinely spoke from the heart - lastly, my panel this year at ottawa was super warm and helped me feel more comfortable despite my initial nerves and thinking *i'm a failure/lack of self-confidence* 

16 minutes ago, icymeia said:

As someone who doesn't have a button, I 100% believe in button = offer because I am pessimistic :(

I think there's a lot of circumstantial evidence that might seem to point in that direction, so I don't blame you for feeling it might be real. I want to believe it's not real because I also don't have the button lol so I guess I'm biased too. I hope you have other interviews and offers because so far The Button is only associated with Mac