Premed 101 Forums

Emailing Programs for an Interview - Advisable or No

There have been a few sites which have sent out e-mails for interviews and although I have not been firmly rejected, it seems pretty apparent that further invites are not going to be released. I have heard through the grapevine that people in the past have e-mailed schools and asking for an interview, but I have never heard it directly from someone who has done it. I am not sure what people think in general? And who you even e-mail and what the e-mail would say. Is it a short e-mail expressing interest in the program, asking for an interview if there is space. Or would it be a longer almost pseudo personal statement? Or do people strongly feel this would be frowned upon. Open to any thoughts or suggestions!

I definitely support this! the worst they say is no. I know of two people who did this in the last few years. one was a family med resident who didn't get an interview at a particular school, then emailed and said he was interested, wanted feedback and stated why he wanted to go there (this was to the PD directly) and they gave him an interview. the other was in pediatrics same thing - she was then given an interview and matched to that school and program. so definitely possible. just watch the wording of your email - make sure you're humble, and not demanding obviously but more inquiring for feedback, that you were very interested in that program and school, you'd appreciate being considered etc. 

23 minutes ago, CaRMS2021 said:

What would one say in this email?

Keep it simple:

I had personal experience, and colleagues sending polite emails saying essentially "Hi, thank you for your consideration, your school was one of my top choices and if you have any further interview room or waitlists, I would be appreciative for consideration". Be humble and don't be too wordy.

Anecdotally from peers in multiple specialties- some were able to snag further interviews. Weather it made a difference in the end is hard to say! They ended up matching higher on their ROL mostly, but 2 of them did in fact match at those programs that were initially rejected. But many simply received copy/paste emails saying "no" in more professional words.

Can't hurt to ask.

13 hours ago, Anonymous2021 said:

Appreciate it! Apparently some schools outline on their website they do not want to be contacted about this so I will need to do some more research, but I will give it a try! 

I'd say do it even if their website says they don't want to be contacted. You have nothing to lose. Perseverance is valued. Wish you all the best and good luck!

I agree with previous posters. Try emailing the PD or someone in the program you have contact with. Be succinct but courteous. 

Programs do screw up sometimes, so you never know if they got your name mixed up between interview and reject list.

Also other candidates may decline interview or switch time slots, possibly creating new open interview slots. So even if they put you on a "waitlist" it creates some chances.

Somewhat unrelated, but I know people who were rejected for fellowship / job, but kept in touch with the person in charge (aka. ask them to keep their CV in file in case something showed up), then some time later, after they've moved on, they get phone calls asking if they are still interested in the fellowship/job. For example one place had hired a candidate last year but the candidate failed their RC exam so offer was rescinded, and then they were scrambling to hire someone else.

TL;DR: never hurts to try.

49 minutes ago, derrick rose said:

While I see where everyone is coming from saying it would be okay to email after rejection, I feel like it could be seen as unsolicited emailing, harassment, unprofessional, etc. I wonder if there are any rules regarding this? 

Not really, it is quite common during CaRMS for applicants who do not get an interview to send a polite email to the program expressing their interest and requesting an interview. Many anecdotal stories of this working at my school, and some people even end up matching to these places that didn't give them an interview initially. 

1 hour ago, derrick rose said:

While I see where everyone is coming from saying it would be okay to email after rejection, I feel like it could be seen as unsolicited emailing, harassment, unprofessional, etc. I wonder if there are any rules regarding this? 

What are they gonna do lol they already rejected you

7 minutes ago, CaRMS2021 said:

What are they gonna do lol they already rejected you

Contact your school and then disciplinary action? With small programs, word spreads quick. Stuff like that. 

I'm not trying to be fear mongering, nor do I know if there would even be consequences. Just bringing it up for discussion in case this might be a situation where it would be better to tread lightly .

19 minutes ago, derrick rose said:

Contact your school and then disciplinary action? With small programs, word spreads quick. Stuff like that. 

I'm not trying to be fear mongering, nor do I know if there would even be consequences. Just bringing it up for discussion in case this might be a situation where it would be better to tread lightly .

if you're respectful there is no reason they would do something like that. If you're obviously arrogant or demanding then yes word will spread. But asking and being polite, in the context of feedback, emphasizing your interest in the program etc gets you a second look and as many have said has worked out in people's favours. Carms is much more fluid and open to these things than entry to medical school is. 

23 minutes ago, derrick rose said:

I think for a school who received one polite email from a rejected applicant to then contact their home school and file for disciplinary action is a highly unlikely scenario--preposterous in my opinion. I do not think there is anything unprofessional about asking for feedback. 

Of course, if the applicant sends repeated, rude emails then that's another story. But one email, I doubt it.

Your future on the on the line here. I think it's worth the risk.

I emailed a program that originally rejected me for an interview and was subsequently placed on a wait list, then I was moved to 'selected for interview ' a few days later. I'd say it's at least worth a shot! Of course, I have no idea if I have been blacklisted. But I certainly wasn't going to be considered with the initial response I received. :)

1 hour ago, asd873 said:

I emailed a program that originally rejected me for an interview and was subsequently placed on a wait list, then I was moved to 'selected for interview ' a few days later. I'd say it's at least worth a shot! Of course, I have no idea if I have been blacklisted. But I certainly wasn't going to be considered with the initial response I received. :)

I don't think you've been blacklisted if you have been selected for an interview...

21 hours ago, asd873 said:

You did it this interview cycle?

I'm really starting to consider it...Do you guys write to the school asking for feedback and saying you'd appreciate a spot if one opens up? Or you just make it short and sweet and reiterate your interest?

52 minutes ago, openminded10 said:

You did it this interview cycle?

I'm really starting to consider it...Do you guys write to the school asking for feedback and saying you'd appreciate a spot if one opens up? Or you just make it short and sweet and reiterate your interest?

Yes, this was this interview cycle! I kept it short and sweet and just reiterated my interest and asked to be placed on a cancelation list if possible.