Premed 101 Forums

How can I prepare for med. school? Need advice.

Hi. I was blessed to be accepted to a med school. Now, I have a couple of months to prepare for it. I checked syllabi in anatomy and pharmacology and, oh boy, how much material there is! Should I start memorizing bones and muscles? Should I start tackling this near 200 drugs list? My gut says "yes, you should've started yesterday". What do you think?

58 minutes ago, who_knows said:

Hi. I was blessed to be accepted to a med school. Now, I have a couple of months to prepare for it. I checked syllabi in anatomy and pharmacology and, oh boy, how much material there is! Should I start memorizing bones and muscles? Should I start tackling this near 200 drugs list? My gut says "yes, you should've started yesterday". What do you think?

no, you should sleep while you still can

I personally think the best way you can prep for med school is to take the summer completely off, spend time with family and friends so that you can start medical school with a gusto of focus and energy lol :P Pace of content in med school is very ameanable to learning the content as you go through it

9 minutes ago, who_knows said:

Thanks, but I am not convinced :) I think at least creating an Anki deck for this monstrous drug list is a must do right now.

sure. a pharm prof we had in the beginning of the year actually told us it'll be great if you could just learn and master 1 drug/day throughout med school. if you're game you can defs do that.

6 hours ago, who_knows said:

funny, but no. I have nothing to do during the summer and I am not good at pure memorization (I need more time normally), so I thought I'd start earlier.

Fair enough. I found First Aid for the USMLE a helpful book to read alongside our lectures in first and second year.

11 hours ago, who_knows said:

funny, but no. I have nothing to do during the summer and I am not good at pure memorization (I need more time normally), so I thought I'd start earlier.

This is how you burn out... Why ask a question if you're gonna ignore all the great advice everyone gave you to relax and do nothing.

5 hours ago, robclem21 said:

Why ask a question if you're gonna ignore all the great advice

I am not ignoring. It's just not what I wanted to hear and it makes me a bit resistant. I just can't imaging that it's actually a good idea to do nothing during the summer before med school. I guess, I'll do mild studying with Anki and that's it.

1 minute ago, who_knows said:

I am not ignoring. It's just not what I wanted to hear and it makes me a bit resistant

This would be the definition of ignoring.

I know its strange to back off of doing stuff after spending so many year working hard to get into medical school, but the next 6-10 years of your life will be an absolute grind and its important to take any time you can get off to pursue personal interests and give your mind and body a chance to reset.

3 minutes ago, who_knows said:

I just can't imaging that it's actually a good idea to do nothing during the summer before med school. I guess, I'll do mild studying with Anki and that's it.

It doesn't really matter what you can or can't imagine. This is advice from people who have gone through it. I can comfortably tell you 100% of people who don't study the summer before medical school have no regret.

14 minutes ago, who_knows said:

I am not ignoring. It's just not what I wanted to hear and it makes me a bit resistant. I just can't imaging that it's actually a good idea to do nothing during the summer before med school. I guess, I'll do mild studying with Anki and that's it.

If it can reassure you, I went on a 3 month trip the summer before med school and I'm not the only one.

Sit back, relax and enjoy your last summer before the grind begins

I am a GIM staff, who just finished residency last year. I went through medical school at UofT. I did NOTHING before the start of medical school. I would suggest you do the same. There is no point, you will learn everything you need to in medical school and residency, an extra 3 months of memorizing random drugs and not knowing the clinical importance or relevance will not add anything to your medical knowledge or career.

You completely ignoring the advice of medical students and residents who have been through it, makes me think this is a joke. If this is not then all I can say is, I am a practising physician and I am echoing what they are saying... take it or leave it.

19 hours ago, who_knows said:

This may sound harsh but based on the comments you have been posting, the most helpful thing you can do this summer is reflect on your attitude and try to be more open to feedback. Your attitude and blatant disregard for other people’s suggestion because it does not line up with what you wanted to hear or because you somehow feel like you know better than people who have gone through the process before is concerning and will invariably cause you trouble during your training. This is exactly what every residency program wants to avoid.

Although this topic  has been covered extensively and 99% would say don't pre-study, this thread offers an interesting counter argument.  TDLR the person was non-trad and had to take leave between M1 and M2 to catch up on basic science.  I personally believe there is a language to science ( not always an intuitive one) and chose to do another undergrad in science before applying as I can't imagine starting med school with no science background.  Not sure if you are a non-trad but if I were without science background I would likely do as this person suggests and pre study to try and get some foundation.  That said, as scientists/future scientists most would look at a survey where 99% of respondents say one thing and likely have much more confidence in that feedback vs. an outlier.  

On 6/2/2021 at 12:58 PM, who_knows said:

Heyy!! Congrats on getting into medical school :)

Personally I have been accepted into medical school and wondering what to prep for - my school hasn't released a curriculum so I can't exactly cover the material. Besides planning my move halfway across the country, I decided to prep strategy rather than material, because I figured a strategy may be adaptable but material may not be depending on how deep lectures go and how the actual vibe of the med school is. For example, I'm planning how to go about studying vs learning - I've never used Anki so I'm randomly trying it out to see if I like it. If not, at least I know now rather than when studying for an exam. I'm not planning to radically shift my studying technique since it works for me, but maybe there is a more efficient way to take notes, a way to record lectures, and something I may need to keep in mind that wasn't applicable to undergrad. I'm also teaching myself meditation and trying out Yoga because it's my goal to become more physically active and maintain that during school. Anyways, these are just some of the more broader things I'm focusing on so my transition to med is a bit easier, my mental heath is being addressed proactively, and I can spend more time focusing on studying. Idk if other people do this, but this is giving me some peace of mind so hopefully this was somewhat helpful :)