Premed 101 Forums

2020 Waitlist Thread

8 hours ago, MedicineLCS said:

To add a little hope to everyone, the spreadsheet is great, but missing a bunch of people who have other offers due before the waitlist moves.

Some sleuthing tells me that 5 (out of 23) people above me in the waitlist have other offers not shown in the original spreadsheet. If you kept going down I'm sure you'd find some similar numbers. Let's not lose hope, don't worry if you're at spot 40 in the list! 

EDIT: I also wouldn't read too much into your relative time differences. WuhanClan and I have essentially identically GPAs (slightly different) and we're one second apart. If they sent a waitlist email every second they'd be up to 240 people by 7:40, so the gaps may not mean much for guessing how many people are not shown on the spreadsheet. 

That does give some hope but I wonder if us having emails 1-2 seconds apart isn't actually indicative of Ottawa's email frequency. I think it's possible with COVID, it could be that internet speeds/reliability were affected too. Maybe the server couldn't handle the number of emails being sent out and what we're seeing is some sort of latency period or the program that was extracting candidate emails/info was lagging. To me it seems like the second bin starts around late 7:41 where people had 4.0 or very high 3.9s got their email.

Whatever the case hopefully it works out for us! Guess we'll only find out at the end of the month and the panic will resurface...

1 minute ago, greysweater said:

Hey guys updating mine because I was able to find the # of seconds in the sent email:

Stream (EN/FR): EN

Time You Received E-mail:  7:42am

"Created" Time: 7:41:45am

wGPA: 3.895-3.90 (if rounded)

"good" waitlist.

Congrats! I believe Ottawa does discern GPA to 3 decimal places (all those high 3.9s tying I guess).

7 minutes ago, greysweater said:

Hey guys updating mine because I was able to find the # of seconds in the sent email:

Stream (EN/FR): EN

Time You Received E-mail:  7:42am

"Created" Time: 7:41:45am

wGPA: 3.895-3.90 (if rounded)

"good" waitlist.

your timestamp/gpa seems to change the trend. @cabbagesoup with a 4.0 got theirs 2 seconds before you. ontariopremed with a 3.97 got it a couple seconds afterwards.

15 hours ago, littleduck said:

i'm leaning towards mac at this point because there is no assurance when it comes to ottawa but keep me on the excel just in case!

Hey! What do you mean by "no assurance when it comes Ottawa"? I'm also deciding between Ottawa and Mac and most things have pointed me towards Ottawa, but I'm interested if you have another perspective that is making Mac seem better to you!

16 minutes ago, Psych said:

Hey! What do you mean by "no assurance when it comes Ottawa"? I'm also deciding between Ottawa and Mac and most things have pointed me towards Ottawa, but I'm interested if you have another perspective that is making Mac seem better to you!

I overall just think that Mac is so much better of a school even though the lottery thing was a little messed up. As good as ottawa is I just have heard from most my upper year med friends that mac is the way to go if I have to decide between the two. Feel free to message me if you have any more questions!

10 minutes ago, klj.klnmk,mn said:

Just a quick question about this timestamp theory. Does it apply to other medical schools as well? Since they are also waitlisted without being given a #, do you think their timestamp means something too? or is this an Ottawa thing?

mcgill gives an actual numerical rank, mac has a much higher WL acceptance rate since their class size is considerably bigger than ottawa's for even fewer interviewees (so overall less worry), western has a high waitlist on top of a good and bad waitlist to provide more clarity. so there are other ways they provide more clarity to students on the waitlist, but to answer your question... i dont know. lol

2 hours ago, mp44518 said:

What if there is another factor they take into consideration, like quotas for example (it could explain why within each bin some people with a 4.0 aren't at the top, because someone else with a 3.95 has priority due to quotas and therefore will precede the 4.0 student) 

Maybe bilingualism? Idk anymore. I was checking the previous years waitlist threads since they're decently short and saw that with time, offers off waitlist started to correlate less with timestamp so it is possible the timestamp correlates with ur score but not perfectly with rank especially as it goes down the list and the differences in interview scores might be more stark. But quotas might best explain the deviations. Maybe they average the score from each question and you could get like a 3.4 interview score and be placed in some sort of 3-3.5 bin? At this point I'm hoping that timestamp is an imperfect indicator and I get called on :P

HOLY SH*TTTTTTTTT guys. Chantal just sent me an offer e-mail. The first wave is HAPPENING RIGHT NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!! GOOD LUCK EVERYONE!!!!!
I CANNOT BELIEVE THIS I'M HYPERVENTILATING!!!!!!! :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

I will be accepting. This is literally my dream.

I'm keeping you all in my good thoughts guys!!

Just now, DrOtter said:

HOLY SH*TTTTTTTTT guys. Chantal just sent me an offer e-mail. The first wave is HAPPENING RIGHT NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!! GOOD LUCK EVERYONE!!!!!
I CANNOT BELIEVE THIS I'M HYPERVENTILATING!!!!!!! :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

OH MY GOD!!! Congrats!!!

1 minute ago, DrOtter said:

ahhhhhh CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!