Premed 101 Forums

2020 Waitlist Thread

Just now, WuhanClan said:

Hey thank you for joining us, much appreciated for sharing your information! Did you get an offer or you're just joining the party? And would you be kind enough to check the created time?

no offer, sorry for the confusion :( and 7:39:03 is the creation time (according to outlook)

1 minute ago, WuhanClan said:

My biggest confusion rn. I think because we see a decent number of 7:38 creation times, it's a continuation but cannot explain further. Maybe a delay/lag somehow.

I think it's a continuation as well because if it was a new bin then 7:39 am people should have 4.0 GPAs but people seem to be around 3.95 GPAs, which makes sense because the people at 7:37 am have 3.97-3.96 GPAs.

5 minutes ago, pinkneuron said:

I think it's a continuation as well because if it was a new bin then 7:39 am people should have 4.0 GPAs but people seem to be around 3.95 GPAs, which makes sense because the people at 7:37 am have 3.97-3.96 GPAs.

I also agree that its a continuation and bin 1 runs from 7:37 to ~7:41 ish (it's hard to make out where bin 1 ends because you see 4s and 3.99s jump up at 7:41:34 but my GPA is substantially lower yet lumped in at the same time with the 4.0s)

For anyone worried that this means the waitlist pool is shrinking (the perennial bounce between being excited to see offers and realizing it means the pool is shrinking) there's still tons of hope to go around. We're up to 7 waitlist offers (vs. 20 posted last year). HOWEVER, 65 people (if I counted right) have self-reported being on the good waitlist. With this high a number of people the number of people getting waitlist offers who are not posting here cannot be that large. ALSO, a bunch of people will be rejecting waitlist offers/removing themselves from the good waitlist. 

In the AFMC data Ottawa typically sees 84-93 offer rejections. Given that Ottawa doesn't overoffer (the waitlist email seemed to clearly indicate no, as would DrOtter's very early waitlist offer) there are still tons of waitlist offers left. If we assume that 30 of those offers are for the non-English streams (which is a high estimate based off the previous posts) that leaves 54-63 offers for the English stream. 

Even if we assume that there are twice as many people as shown (130) on the good waitlist who are getting offers and not posting them we'd still only be up to 14 offers out of a lower range value of 54, which still leaves tons of room, AND the first offer deadline hasn't passed yet. So don't lose hope just yet! It's not over till it's over. 

Random question: don't want to add any anxiety but just curious to what you all think. Do you think a waitlist email went out every second (except for where there may have been a ~minute lag?). Looking at the spread sheet, some emails went out in close successions, so just wondering if this could provide an idea of the size of the good waitlist?

Again, this could mean absolutely nothing--hope we all get some good news over the next week or so!

@Dr. Shqipe

I addressed that earlier, but it's basically impossible. If that theory is true we'd be up to a good waitlist several times larger than the entire interviewee pool by 7:46. Closer time stamps=closer GPAs, but other than that, I wouldn't read too much into "gaps". ALTHOUGH the 7:40 gap is kinda interesting. It's possible the servers were busy or had a cool-down period programmed in, I'm not going to second guess it except to point out that an email/second is not possible with the range we're seeing. 

I'd also add that reading too much into GPA differences and inconsistencies doesn't say much either. People can lie/calculate their GPA wrong so, without pointing fingers, the time stamps>GPA. 

FINAL EDIT: I'd also not read too much into how many offers are sent per day. I highly doubt someone is solely tasked with keeping up on the waitlist, there are other jobs right now to do in the office, so they're likely sending out waitlist offers as they have time. 

5 minutes ago, MedicineLCS said:

@Dr. Shqipe

I addressed that earlier, but it's basically impossible. If that theory is true we'd be up to a good waitlist several times larger than the entire interviewee pool by 7:46. Closer time stamps=closer GPAs, but other than that, I wouldn't read too much into "gaps". ALTHOUGH the 7:40 gap is kinda interesting. It's possible the servers were busy or had a cool-down period programmed in, I'm not going to second guess it except to point out that an email/second is not possible with the range we're seeing. 

I'd also add that reading too much into GPA differences and inconsistencies doesn't say much either. People can lie/calculate their GPA wrong so, without pointing fingers, the time stamps>GPA. 

Ok awesome thanks! If omitting ~7:38, 7:40, 7:42, 7:43, and 7:44 as possible cool-down periods, there would be roughly 300 on the good waitlist. But I do agree, that is quite farfetched but just interesting to think about.

And yes loads of calculations errors can be made so timestamps are the way to go!

22 minutes ago, wannabemdplease said:

Can someone summarize how many individuals will be taken off the WL? What timestamp can we anticipate it to reach? I wonder if the # will be less, with some people choosing Ottawa > Mac due to the effect of covid on a 3 yr program. 

87 offers were declined last year (https://afmc.ca/sites/default/files/pdf/2020_admission-requirements_EN.pdf) you can see that this number ranges from 84-93 in the past 5 years. We cannot really assume how many will be taken off the WL this year, we just know that at least 7 have received an offer off the WL this cycle since May 12th. I don't think it would be beneficial to guess what timestamp would be reached because for all we know, there are 60 people that received a WL email at 7:38 that haven't shared their stats :/ 

I think that the COVID/3-year program may affect the WL movement, but I don't think it will be a huge difference compared to previous no-COVID years. Several friends chose Mac over Ottawa in previous years and are still advocating for Mac, but it's all speculation until we get actual stats once the class at Ottawa is completed 

3 minutes ago, WuhanClan said:

Say no cap rn

lmao my guy we're all stressed rn and there's no reason to lie and add to the stress of everyone… I graduated in 2018 so many friends previously chose Mac over Ottawa (edited the original post to reflect this) but I still know at least 4 people that are choosing Mac over Ottawa this year bc they wanna stay closer to GTA among other reasons tbh