Premed 101 Forums

Timeline for acceptances/rejections?

17 minutes ago, abcd1288 said:

I emailed admissions and they said they don't have a specific date in mind yet (maybe because they haven't finalized the rank list or application review) but they said they will aim to get it by the end of March (I'm assuming that's the latest)

Thanks for doing that! Do you mind clarifying what you mean about the rank list/review progress? Did they actually say that part, or is that just your speculation?

14 minutes ago, SmallTownGal said:

Oof, that's rough. Really hoping we aren't waiting till the end of the month. I'm guessing it'll be around the 16th or 18th. Fingers crossed for sooner rather than later!

I'm with you there! The end of March would be brutal. I'm still holding out hope for next week, but maybe we'll be waiting longer :(

Just now, CanNonTrad said:

Thanks for doing that! Do you mind clarifying what you mean about the rank list/review progress? Did they actually say that part, or is that just your speculation?

Just speculation because Im guessing the reason why they haven't picked out a firm date is due to them either not finishing reviewing applicants, not finishing ranking applicants based on their score, or other stuffs. They only told me that they will plan to have the letters out by end of March and there's no firm date yet.

52 minutes ago, abcd1288 said:

I emailed admissions and they said they don't have a specific date in mind yet (maybe because they haven't finalized the rank list or application review) but they said they will aim to get it by the end of March (I'm assuming that's the latest)

It could also be a way for them to cover their bases so if it goes longer they don't have a bunch of people emailing them being like where is it?? I'm hoping it's still going to come during the med March break (15th-19th).

12 minutes ago, premed2232 said:

This just occurred to me, but what are the chances that ADCOM only having to mark 5 basic questions for each applicant (instead of 12 complex stations) would allow the review/ranking/results to come sooner? Or is this just wishful thinking...

They also said at one point that they interviewed more people than they have before so I don't know if those two factors might even out. It's tough to tell with such it being such a weird year!

41 minutes ago, premed2232 said:

This just occurred to me, but what are the chances that ADCOM only having to mark 5 basic questions for each applicant (instead of 12 complex stations) would allow the review/ranking/results to come sooner? Or is this just wishful thinking...

I hate the fact that there was only 5 basic questions, it means each question had more weight.

12 minutes ago, Happylittleki said:

Will we receive a breakdown of our applicant score or just the bulk score? Will they tell us if we were given any discretionary points (what does this even meaaaannn)? 

Not sure if they will provide a detailed breakdown but discretionary points, as far as I am aware of, are awarded to exceptional applicants (olympic athlete, first author on high impact journals, etc.)

3 hours ago, premed2232 said:

They had 2 separate evaluators look at each of the 5 questions, so technically we’re getting 10 marks vs. 12, plus as mentioned by @sr9 above, they had more applicants than ever before this year so we shall see!

2 hours ago, Happylittleki said:

Will we receive a breakdown of our applicant score or just the bulk score? Will they tell us if we were given any discretionary points (what does this even meaaaannn)? 

If you get accepted than you won’t get your score breakdown (but at that point I’m not sure many of us would even care anymore), but if you get rejected/waitlisted, they’ll give you a breakdown of your academic score /25, your Essay/supplemental score /35, and your interview score /40. I can’t say for sure if the mention anything about discretionary points, but as @abcd1288 mentioned above, those are reserved for exceptional applicants (and perhaps graduate degrees as well? Not 100% sure on that one). 

Hope this helps!

10 minutes ago, squeekz07 said:

They had 2 separate evaluators look at each of the 5 questions, so technically we’re getting 10 marks vs. 12, plus as mentioned by @sr9 above, they had more applicants than ever before this year so we shall see!

If you get accepted than you won’t get your score breakdown (but at that point I’m not sure many of us would even care anymore), but if you get rejected/waitlisted, they’ll give you a breakdown of your academic score /25, your Essay/supplemental score /35, and your interview score /40. I can’t say for sure if the mention anything about discretionary points, but as @abcd1288 mentioned above, those are reserved for exceptional applicants (and perhaps graduate degrees as well? Not 100% sure on that one). 

Hope this helps!

Wait, does this mean there are only 2 evaluators reviewing each of 5 questions rather than 10 different evaluators for in-person MMI? Crap... I used a same personal example for two of the questions so if one evaluator is looking at all 5 questions, then this might raise some eyebrows..

35 minutes ago, squeekz07 said:

3 hours ago, Happylittleki said:

Same question... would it have been 2 evaluators then for our entire MMI or 10?

3 hours ago, abcd1288 said:

I hate the fact that there was only 5 basic questions, it means each question had more weight.

Not sure if they will provide a detailed breakdown but discretionary points, as far as I am aware of, are awarded to exceptional applicants (olympic athlete, first author on high impact journals, etc.)

How does being an olympic athlete translate into being a great medical practitioner? 

32 minutes ago, BonJovi said:

Wait, does this mean there are only 2 evaluators reviewing each of 5 questions rather than 10 different evaluators for in-person MMI? Crap... I used a same personal example for two of the questions so if one evaluator is looking at all 5 questions, then this might raise some eyebrows..

5 minutes ago, Happylittleki said:

It was my understanding that there were 1 evaluator/question = 5 evaluators....Similar to CASPER 

To clarify, there are 2 evaluators per question, but *10 TOTAL* different evaluators per applicant (each evaluator is assigned a single question to score, so absolutely no worries on using similar examples/stories for more than one of the prompts). Hope this clear that up!

Just now, squeekz07 said:

To clarify, there are 2 evaluators per question, but *10 TOTAL* different evaluators per applicant (each evaluator is assigned a single question to score, so absolutely no worries on using similar examples/stories for more than one of the prompts). Hope this clear that up!

I see!! Okay, jeepers that's a lot of evaluators lol.

7 minutes ago, squeekz07 said:

That made me feel SO much better lol I was worried about using similar examples, thanks!!