Premed 101 Forums

UBC MD Interview Invites/Regrets Thread - 2020/21

2 minutes ago, PreMed#219099 said:

stupid question: if my school does 85+ as a 4.0, can I calculate my aGPA for UBC (which does 85-89 as a 3.9) by adding the GPA for each course (e.g. 3.9+3.7+4.0+3.7+3.9+...) and divide by the number of courses? Or is it a lot more complicated than that?

No, you'll have to convert each class manually. If your school uses letter grades then they're converted using that chart posted earlier. If your transcript has percentages then those are used over the letter grades. 

38 minutes ago, Sarahread460 said:

Isn't that unfair then?

There’s nothing fair about their conversions but it is what it is. I’m in the US and an A+ is  a 97+... and A is 90% at least, sometimes 92-93 depending on the professor. Which is higher than most other 4.0 scale Canadian schools that attribute A’s below a 90%.

I’m currently at a school that officially has A+ on their transcripts but professors can use whatever grading schemes they want so many don’t award + and - for simplicity, which makes it worse because I get A’s for A+ work that gives me an 87 with UBC instead of my earned 98%.... 

I’m just crossing my fingers that I don’t end up too far below the mark but their conversion system is extremely disadvantageous for some of us. 

12 minutes ago, PirouetteCacahuete said:

There’s nothing fair about their conversions but it is what it is. I’m in the US and an A+ is  a 97+... and A is 90% at least, sometimes 92-93 depending on the professor. Which is higher than most other 4.0 scale Canadian schools that attribute A’s below a 90%.

I’m currently at a school that officially has A+ on their transcripts but professors can use whatever grading schemes they want so many don’t award + and - for simplicity, which makes it worse because I get A’s for A+ work that gives me an 87 with UBC instead of my earned 98%.... 

I’m just crossing my fingers that I don’t end up too far below the mark but their conversion system is extremely disadvantageous for some of us. 

That's ridiculous. You have amazing stats. I'm sure you will make med school somewhere, if not UBC.

15 minutes ago, heyo said:

Does anyone know long it usually takes for UBC to release individual results after the interim stats are posted? :o

Have a gut feeling we're still going to be waiting until tomorrow. They have to update the blog first

Edit: also this is pretty nuts lol we've got 40 000 views on a thread that has no official results in yet (other than a fake one early on). Imagine what the views will be next week. We're hitting 100k for sure

1 minute ago, Alysse212 said:

I am hoping they update the blog at the same time as they send out the first wave of rejections. Maybe we'll hear from them in 30 minutes...

Oof brb hiding if this is true. I'm procrastinating working on stuff rn anyways, maybe this is a sign I should get back on it lol

5 minutes ago, PotaToeZ said:

McGill OOP applicant here sitting with a 89%...Yeah at McGill 92% = 4.0cGPA. Pretty brutal stuff. Oh well, ready to take my default R :')

Fo Sho GIF by memecandy

Brutal, yes. Buuut you're well within the range to get an II still. An average is just that, and you're damn close. :) Best of luck to you.

24 minutes ago, Thefirem4ster said:

That's ridiculous. You have amazing stats. I'm sure you will make med school somewhere, if not UBC.

I hope so! :blink: That's not my overall, but that's just one example how individual grades can be drug downward by their conversion a whole 10 percentage points depending on the situation. 

Will update later, but early invite received! no clue wtf the schedule is this year lmao

Edit:

Time Stamp (i.e. include date and time): 13:16 PST Dec 17 email
Result (i.e. invite or regrets): invite
GPA/AGPA (i.e. whichever is applicable): 88.97/~89.2
MCAT (i.e. total score and breakdown in the order of CP/CARS/BB/PS): 514 
Geography (i.e. IP or OOP): IP
ECs (i.e. brief rundown of Research Pubs/Presentations, Awards, Employment, and Non-Academic Activities - also Rural stuff if you want/if it applies): no research/pub, some research awards, a few varied jobs.  A few long-term volunteering (4-6 years), two clubs and one society. No rural. 
NAQ Range (i.e. what quartile you fell in): from last year 75-100%
Your Result (i.e. relative to interview cutoff): from last year ~65 TFR