Premed 101 Forums

uOttawa Interview Invite/Rejection 2021

Invite/Rejection: Invite!!!
Time Stamp: 2:45 EST
Stream: English
cGPA: 3.97 with winter 2020, 3.94 without
Current year: 4th year
ECs: 3+ years of research (one conference oral + one abstract), clinical employment in a hospital (8 months), 8 years of competitive and provincial sports (captain of JV team at my uni), 4+ years of volunteering with and coaching children with disabilities, piano & sax (10 years) and some other unique things like jet maintenance, sign language and digital art

Casper: Honestly thought it went pretty well, only didn't fully complete 2-3 questions total within the scenarios and felt I was able to give long enough answers. Didn't get an invite at Mac though, so can't really say for sure! 

I'm shocked to be honest, was starting to lose faith in this whole process haha. Good luck to everyone in all their schools of choice!!

Invite/Rejection: Invite. Been staring at this forum for weeks so this is surreal!!
Time Stamp: 2:14 PM
Stream: French
cGPA: 3.86

ECs: Lots of diverse volunteer, lots of global affaires type ECs & music related activities. 

Casper and Snapshot: Prepped for about a month, had to become familiar with french writing again.  No Snapshot.

13 minutes ago, Yoyo2017 said:

Invite/Rejection: Rejection 
Time Stamp: 12:15 pm
cGPA: 3.96
Current year: 4th year undergrad
ECs: 50-75th according to UBC. 

Casper: veryyyyyyy low

Rejected from Mac with a 131 Casper so it's def that. 

how do you know your casper score?

Invite/Rejection: Invite
Time Stamp: 2:45 EST (went directly into my spam folder... so I only found it now)
cGPA: 3.99 with winter 2020, 3.97 without
Current year: 3rd year
ECs: Scholarships, tutoring, several leadership positions in a few clubs, and volunteering (at a hospital and on campus). Also had an internationally recognized achievement from high school that may have boosted my ABS. 2 summers of research, no pubs. 

Casper and Snapshot: Felt great about CASPer (spent 5+ hours practicing for it & more reading The Book and prepping a framework; also got a Mac interview, so I guess it went well?) and Snapshot went okay. 

I know some amazing candidates who didn't get interviews, so I feel very lucky to be here. Good luck to everyone with interviews or future apps!!!

Invite/Rejection: invite
Time Stamp: 2:36 PM EST
cGPA: 3.95 (last 3 years)
Current year: completed undergrad
ECs: pretty ehhhhh imo...... decent amount and variety of volunteering and ECs but nothing special, some music-related personal activities, one NSERC USRA, TA-ing one semester, some research but no publications

Casper and Snapshot: didn't think casper went all that well so i'm really surprised by the invite!! i did snapshot too but i thought it went TERRIBLY lol i stumbled over my words for like a minute straight for one of the questions

got waitlisted at uottawa post-interview last cycle so i'm really grateful to have another chance this time around!! :lol: congrats to everyone that received an interview and to the people who unfortunately received bad news, i'm rooting for you for other schools or for any subsequent application cycles!!! :wub:

Invite/Rejection: Invite!!
Time Stamp: 2:40 EST
cGPA: 4.0 with winter 2020, 3.99 without 
ECs: 3 years of research (NSERC and other internships), conference presentations, a part-time job for 3 years, executive member in an NGO, lots of student club involvement/leadership, long-term volunteering about health in the community. 

Casper: it definitely went better than last year! I worked hard to improve my typing speed to 90 wpm and also got a better grasp on how to structure my answers on Casper through practice and talking to others. Did not do the snapshot. 

Really grateful for this chance to interview after not receiving any last year. For people who were not invited, I’m wishing you all the best for your future applications, I know how tough this whole process is!

Congrats everyone! 

Invite/Rejection: Invite!
Time Stamp: 2:55 PM EST (hopefully the later email doesn't mean anything negative... last year WL know what I'm getting at)
cGPA: 3.97 
Current year: Finished Undergrad
ECs: 4+ years of research (National & other internships), just got publications (so they didn't help my app), conference presentations, guest-speaker at research things, a part-time job for MANY years, lots of student club (higher, mid, and lower lvl involvement), long-term volunteering at hospital, started my own COVID related service, executive member of local community health institution idk lots of things that are fun like sports, beekeeping, videography, etc. 

Casper: This test is really UNIQUE, I swear once I started answering everything very formulaic I have gotten good feedback on it (like top quartile from my American app and the questions were VERY similar to the Canadian one lol). So it really IS a test you can prepare/study for lol. Typing speed is important! Did the snapshot probably a month after the CASPer bc procrastination :-P idk if it counted!

Time Stamp: 28/01/2021- 2:50 PM
cGPA: 3.98
Current year: UG complete, in gap year
ECs: I would say fairly strong- 4 years of research (2 co-author papers, 1 lead author review), several mentorship and student clubs, hospital and teaching volunteering, TAing, founded my own non-profit

Casper: Thought casper went well (got invite to Mac, Mcgill and UofT). Did snapshot, but didn't really prepare for it, though it didn't go too badly 

Good luck everybody! Be proud of your accomplishments! You have all worked so hard and I know you'll all end up in great places :)

Invite/Rejection: Reject
cGPA: 3.88
Current year: Graduated May 2020, Gap Year
ECs: Above average, but very diverse. 

Casper: Did Casper last year, and prepared much more this year (3-4 weeks). I thought it went decent, answered all questions except for one. Also completed snapshot (but didn't really prepare too much). Was hoping that I could improve here and make up for my lackluster cGPA. 

Looks like the new changes revolving around cGPA favour those with higher cGPA, and anyone who was competitive with wGPA previously and had a lower cGPA has a significantly lower chance at an interview invite in the English stream this year. Oh well. Best of luck to those who were invited!

just posting for future premeds that fear not having research in the future!! 

Invite!!! 
Time Stamp: 28/01/2021 - 2:56 PM EST
Stream: English (and SAI) 
cGPA: 3.94 (winter 2020 included) 
Current year: 3rd year
ECs: nothing too special tbh, typical stuff like hospital volunteering, equity/diversity work at the university, clubs, wellness centre volunteering, and a graphics job + a mentorship job. i had no research or research awards on my abs! only unique thing may be that ive been self marketing art commissions for like 5-6 years now

Casper: honestly barely prepared, probably only prepped like the day or 2 days before, but i applied to and interviewed for Mcmasters PA program last year so i had experience typing up answers and discussing casper esque solutions from that, didnt do snapshot, and WPM is around 80?

9 hours ago, mar58 said:

Time Stamp: 3:00pm EST
cGPA: 3.97 
Current year: 3rd
ECs: Diverse involvement in student-run organizations, volunteering, part time employment. I filled 18 entries but nothing really special/standout. This is definitely a weak point of my application.

CASPer: Felt alright! I got an interview at Mac with a below average CARS so I'm assuming it went well. Prepped sporadically for 3 weeks leading up to it (used prepmatch.com & practiced with friends, got feedback from other people). 

Anyone else scared shitless at the thought of a 45-minute long panel? I much prefer an MMI or MPI type where you have time to think about your answers. noo idea how i'm gonna prep for this going forward lol. 

The 45 minutes flew by for me lol. :D

Posting for more data

Regrets
Time Stamp: 28/01/2021 - 12:36 PM EST
cGPA: 3.99
Current year: 4th
ECs: Research (no pubs), volunteering w marginalized populations (around 200hrs), volunteer tutor, TA, exec/member of clubs, various jobs, bunch of awards, life experiences

Casper: I felt ok but apparently it was bad based on my other rejections, probably my biggest issue given Western & U of T thought my ECs were alright

Anyone else applied in the CNFS stream ?

Invite :)!!! After 3 years of trying
Time Stamp: 28/01/2021 - 2:08 PM EST
Stream: CNFS 
cGPA: 3.94
Current year: 4th ( I'm completing physics and math courses for QC medschools).
ECs: Research (no pubs, 2 projects (honours+UROP), scinapse, volunteering as a tutor , peer educator and for a middle school ( I was watching the kids during recess). I was also in a sorority for 4 years and was the president for a year. Im also certified with PADI scuba diving (kinda random lol). I also had had 4 summer jobs including one in a nursing home and one for CCB.

Casper: I used to have like a formula or like a way to write my answers. This year I went directly with being myself and focusing on answering first and explaining why and I got an interview for the first time ? So I don't know what Casper is about :').

Also , it's the first time I'm writing my ECs in a point form format ...just sayin'.

39 minutes ago, Berry214 said:

For those who received an interview, do you know if we are supposed to respond to the email saying we accept the invite? I know we had to last year, but the email doesn't explicitly provide those instructions, so just wanted to confirm. 

Usually a 2nd email is sent out with the date & time, and thats the email you respond to 

U can't confirm based on this one because there isn't a date or time yet! 

Completely forgot to post yesterday

Invite/Rejection: Invite
Time Stamp: January 28, 2021 (2:58 PM)
Stream: English
cGPA: 3.98
Current year: 4th year
ECs: Research (no pubs, only volunteer work and a thesis course), founder/pres of a few clubs since high school, some unique employment (gymnastics coach, senior home leisure tech) but nothing long-term, clubs, hospital volunteering. I've also been involved with my school's First Response Team for a couple years. Overall I filled all entries but nothing that really stands out.

Casper: Felt okay about it, got cut-off on a few of my answers with 1-2 sentences written (typing speeds around 65WPM RIP). Didn't get an interview at Mac so must not have been too great. 2nd time writing it, and practiced a fair amount before-hand.

Really grateful and excited. Good luck to everyone else on their future apps!

Invite/Rejection: Invite (third time applying to uOttawa, first invite)

Time Stamp: 28/01/2021 - 2:49 PM EST

Stream: English

cGPA: 3.97

Current year: Completed BSc, currently working

ECs: Three years experience in research (co-authorship on two publications, poster presentation at conference), NSERC USRA, two research awards, academic awards (scholarships, Gold Medal), employment as a meteorological scientist, group & individual tutoring, overnight camp counsellor, EMT abroad, campus learning peer, VP campus club, blogging, shadowing, tennis instructor for kids.

Casper: Felt good about it. No snapshot.