Premed 101 Forums

UOttawa Medical School Accepted/Waitlist 2021

Time Stamp: 9:08 (received), 9:07 (created)

Result: Good waitlist

GPA: 3.92

Stream: English

Year: MSc 2019 working right now.

Interview Thoughts: thought it went much better than last year when I got a bad waitlist. But not good enough for a direct offer. 

Accepted U of T on OMSAS so I don't think I have to call to withdraw from this waiting list? 

Looks like our Bin 1 data is only like two more people away from last year's data. Last year, there were 45 entries for Bin 1, and everyone (except 1 person who got skipped for whatever reason) in that top 45 got in (to Ottawa or other schools). Granted, there were 13 waitlist withdrawals in the top 45 last year. We have 6 so far this year. I expect the number to be closer to 13 once people on the WL start accepting other offers. 

1 minute ago, Jamal_Murray MD said:

Probably within the next few days tbh. Does anyone know if you receive a call or an email if you're called off the waitlist?

That is an excellent question - would love to know! Also is anyone else having difficulty explaining this situation to friends/family ?? or is it just me...

1 minute ago, StrawberryBanana said:

I think they call first and if you don't answer they email. Not too sure tho! Also does anyone have the data from last years waitlist spreadsheet? 

Here are 2 spreadsheets that were compiled using last year's waitlist data. I don't know which is more complete/accurate.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1DBFoABosUaEUvGhP_eBDiPgKIDyGWsch/view?usp=sharing

uOttawa Waitlist Data (2017-2020) - Google Drive

9 minutes ago, Fluva said:

Here are 2 spreadsheets that were compiled using last year's waitlist data. I don't know which is more complete/accurate.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1DBFoABosUaEUvGhP_eBDiPgKIDyGWsch/view?usp=sharing

uOttawa Waitlist Data (2017-2020) - Google Drive

Thank you! Last year's time stamp within bin 1 all seem to be within 2 min, whereas this years it spans over 5 min. Do you guys think this will effect how many people in bin 1 receive an offer?

2 minutes ago, StrawberryBanana said:

Thank you! Last year's time stamp within bin 1 all seem to be within 2 min, whereas this years it spans over 5 min. Do you guys think this will effect how many people in bin 1 receive an offer?

i’m worried about the same, and i’m worried they’re going to suddenly change things up and the time stamps won’t matter

4 minutes ago, StrawberryBanana said:

Last year's Bin 1 was from :37 to :41 (4 minutes). Also, if you look at two years before, the time stamps only spanned two minutes. Therefore, the emails were just more spread out this year. The relative time rank matters more than the actual time IMO.

Last year, it seemed to span over 4 minutes. Within bin 1, the first offer came out at 7:37:09 and the last offer came at 7:41:27. 

I honestly wouldn't look into it too much. If timestamps are indicative of relative waitlist rankings as it has in previous years, then the first ~30 to 40 people on the spreadsheet should receive an offer. Of course, it all depends on how many people will refuse their direct offers (which has averaged around 90 in previous years).

8 minutes ago, pre-med 12344321 said:

i’m worried about the same, and i’m worried they’re going to suddenly change things up and the time stamps won’t matter

There is always that possibility that time stamps can be randomized, which is definitely a cause for uncertainty even for people at the top of the spreadsheet. However, it is assuring to see that the time stamp orders follow a pattern similar to last year (declining GPA trend and bounce back up suddenly after around 40 time stamps). If the time stamps were truly randomized, the GPAs would be a random mix with no coherent pattern. 

10 minutes ago, ksjdflkhei said:

If anyone hasn't added their stats to the spreadsheet, it would really help provide a more realistic idea of the waitlist!!

Same thing for the french waitlist. Heres the link in case you havent added your stats yet:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1OHfYEzYa8ug9PiA0WizLom_8CcNha6aRIO-OttMcxKk/edit#gid=0

Sorry for responding late to this thread, but I'll add my stats here in case it's informative for waitlist calculations or anyone else applying!

Timestamp (created): 9:02 AM EST

Result: WL (good)

GPA: 3.99 

Stream: English

Year: Just completed 3rd year undergrad

Interview thoughts: I didn't think I raised any red flags, but I seriously rushed through the whole thing. (e.g. they told me to answer in 1 minute because we're short on time, I'd speak at 2x speed and answer in 1.5 minutes...) Still, the interviewers were super nice, and I felt optimistic afterwards!

I received offers from other schools, so even if I'm taken off the WL, I won't be going to Ottawa. Good luck to everyone else waiting, and congrats to all who got in!

1 hour ago, WntSignalling said:

Posting stats for the spreadsheet!!

Time Stamp (received): 9:08:07 am (created:) ?? how do i see that?

Result: Good WL

GPA: 3.92

Stream: English

If you have gmail click the 3 dots and then click original email or something like that and then command f for creation time. Not sure about outlook but I think someone wrote how to do it somewhere here :) Your created time is prob somewhere in the 9:07s 

Just now, ksjdflkhei said:

If you have gmail click the 3 dots and then click original email or something like that and then command f for creation time. Not sure about outlook but I think someone wrote how to do it somewhere here :)

Thanks! I actually have rogers yahoo so I'm not sure how to see it on there!-- Im assuming i'm bin 1? my GPA doesn't seem high enough for the beginning of bin 2

16 minutes ago, ksjdflkhei said:

If you have gmail click the 3 dots and then click original email or something like that and then command f for creation time. Not sure about outlook but I think someone wrote how to do it somewhere here :) Your created time is prob somewhere in the 9:07s 

Found it! Creation time was 9:07:36 :) 

Hey I wanted to add my stats for the list!

I got the good waitlist 

Time received: 9:07 (I think the created time was 9:07:19)

English stream 

GPA: 3.93

Can someone let me know if this means I am in bin 1 or 2? I'm debating whether or not to retake the MCAT while I wait but the uncertainty is messing with my motivation... I'll need to retake it to apply to other schools next cycle if I don't get in