Premed 101 Forums

UOttawa Medical School Accepted/Waitlist 2021

Time Stamp: 7:31 am

Result: Accepted!

GPA: 3.95

Stream: French

Year: Graduated 2019

Interview Thoughts: I came out of that interview knowing I killed it! This was my third and final interview at uOttawa (3 interviews is the maximum number allowed). To all those who are still trying, NEVER GIVE UP! Press on!

Time Stamp: 7:41 AM

Result: Acceptée !

GPA: 4,0

Stream: Français

Year: Graduated 2020 (second bachelor) ... 7 years of university + 2 years of cégep - that was a long journey !

Interview Thoughts: Ouf, that was the hard part. I was rejected 2 times at uOttawa and 2 times from McGill. That killed my confidence year after year. I reached out for a psychologist last fall, that helped me so much and I feel that this is what made a difference (because I was so prepared, but yet so anxious the years before). That was my last strike, last chance (3rd interview) the pressure was intense. 

McGill
1st interview (2020) : 96 WL and I thought my interview went super well
2nd interview (2021, this year) : 49 WL, I feel like my performance was really similar... McGill is a mystery to me !

uOttawa
1st interview (2019) : bad waitlisted and I thought my interview went super well
2nd interview (2020) : so cloooose in the WL
3rd interview (2021) : accepted

Seeing all my friends getting in over the years (even graduating since it took me so long) was really hard. I felt so lonely and heartbroken, and I felt like a bad person to be so envious/jealous/bitter. I cried, and I cried, and I cried. 

To anyone on the WL, I feel you. It is the absolute hardest thing. I am with you with all my heart, deeply. I keep you in my prayers. My DMs are always opened if you want to chat <3 Biggest virtual hug !

4 hours ago, ksjdflkhei said:

According to other people, not typically (maybe some with the really high GPAs), but thats also assuming that the theory is right and knowing how unpredictable this whole process is, I would not take all this speculation (the theories lol) too seriously because you never know 

by bin 2 do you mean the waitlist emails that had "do not expect an offer of admission" in the email or do you mean emails that still got sent in the 9:0... but just later? 

9 hours ago, KIrvingMD said:

Time Stamp: 9:06:10 am

Result: Good waitlist

cGPA: 3.96

Stream: English 

Year: Finished Undergrad 2021 May

I forwarded my decision email from Chantel to my gmail, and then checked the creation date from here, and apparently my creation date is not 9:06:10am, but rather 9:05:16am. Could someone kindly update that on the google sheets please :)

Result: FINALLY Accepted

Timestamp: 8:04 AM EST

wGPA/cGPA: 3.98

ECs: Research heavy (awards, scholarships, no significant pubs), distress centre, homeless services, health unit work, sports, marathons, started a delivery service for Covid19 at risk populations 

Essays: Wrote too many essays throughout the years. Tried to make these easily digestible so whoever was reading them would come across this and thank me for making it easy to read :-)! Add personal experiences x100.

Interview: This one felt amazing. Could not have left my room feeling better (was fist pumping after). But also felt terrible after Western and indifferent after Toronto so your feelings do... not really matter unless they're extremes imo.

Year: 2 year post undergrad :-P

Geography: IP

Not sure where I will be accepting as I have Toronto, Western and still waiting on BC! There's hope after 3 cycles big yikes y'oll!

Time Stamp: 7:38

Result: Accepted 

GPA: cGPA 3.93 from Mcgill but idk what the wGPA was for Ottawa

Stream: French

Year: Gap year (graduated B.Sc 2020)

Interview Thoughts: I thought it went super well other than being very nervous at the beginning! Panel was super nice, questions were expected but I had interviewed last year too and knew what to expect

Also got accepted at U of T - not sure what I will pick :P 

1 hour ago, hopefulMD555 said:

Does anyone have any idea how many people they put on the good and bad waitlist? 

My estimate is that the good WL is around 150 people. I say this because approximately 65-75 people probably get in off the good WL every year for the English stream. Assuming all of bin 1 is cleared, that would mean 85-95 people are in bin 1. I added ten because this is approximately how many people in bin 1 can decline a WL offer. Bin 2 would likely have 50-70 people in it to act as a buffer for bin 1. So the conservative estimate for me in 150 people on the English good WL with about half getting offers for the English stream. Again, this is pure speculation on my part, but I believe this is the case. 

Time Stamp: 8:37 AM

Result: Accepted

GPA: 4.00

Interview Thoughts: Completely screwed up on one question! Other than that, I thought my answers were pretty structured overall. Didn't feel like I connected super well with my panel so I was a little worried haha

1 hour ago, KingCobra99 said:

My estimate is that the good WL is around 150 people. I say this because approximately 65-75 people probably get in off the good WL every year for the English stream. Assuming all of bin 1 is cleared, that would mean 85-95 people are in bin 1. I added ten because this is approximately how many people in bin 1 can decline a WL offer. Bin 2 would likely have 50-70 people in it to act as a buffer for bin 1. So the conservative estimate for me in 150 people on the English good WL with about half getting offers for the English stream. Again, this is pure speculation on my part, but I believe this is the case. 

Based on the data from last year (from what we know) it looks like only 35-40 people got in off the Good WL for english stream... do we think that was an anomaly or a new pattern? They didn't release how many total declined offers either so its tough to say. 

1 minute ago, Jadess97 said:

Based on the data from last year (from what we know) it looks like only 35-40 people got in off the Good WL... do we think that was an anomaly or a new pattern? They didn't release how many total declined offers either so its tough to say. 

Not everyone who gets in off the Good WL will report it on this forum, so our data will underreport the number who actually get in. The 65-75 number KingCobra99 cited is an estimate based off of the numbers reported by the AFMC. Those numbers are reported here on Page 52: 2021_admission-requirements_EN.pdf (afmc.ca). Historically, the number of offers declined has been a little less than 90.

Just now, Fluva said:

Not everyone who gets in off the Good WL will report it on this forum, so our data will underreport the number who actually get in. The 65-75 number KingCobra99 cited is an estimate based off of the numbers reported by the AFMC. Those numbers are reported here on Page 52: 2021_admission-requirements_EN.pdf (afmc.ca). Historically, the number of offers declined has been a little less than 90.

Yeah I assumed some underrepresentation but there is not data for the 2019/2020 cycle unfortunately in the AFMC document... I am also thinking that it is possible more people will have received multiple offers this year because interviews were virtual and more economically accessible for people to attend multiple...so maybe there will be more WL movement than previously (just speculating here) :) 

Not sure why mine was taken out of the excel but feel free to add me in

Time Stamp: 9:07:14 AM (creation time)

Result: Good WL

GPA: 3.94

Year: 3rd year UG

Interview Thoughts: I honestly thought i did terrible i stumbled a lot and felt like i didnt really get to convey my thoughts properly