Premed 101 Forums

Accepted/Rejected/Deferred/Waitlisted for Current Applicants

Guest HaliEngineer

Waitlisted (IP, PEI)

GPA: 4.0

MCAT: 517

Score: 70.34

I was a little disappointed with my interview and supplemental scores, especially since I thought I had a wide variety of lots of extracurriculars. Seeing all the high waitlist scores is making me nervous, but there hasn't been much response from other PEI applicants, so it's hard to gauge.

38 minutes ago, mangomango said:

Accepted - IP (PEI)

MCAT: 509

Was waitlisted last year with a score of 68.95. Really worked on improving my interview and essay from previous cycle.

Congrats on your acceptance! Wondering if you have any advice on improving your interview score. 

3 hours ago, SmallTownGal said:

Accepted! - IP (NB)

MCAT: 507

Research-based MSc complete, lots of volunteering, varsity athlete, 10+ years working throughout school. 

Congrats to those accepted, and best of luck to everyone else! My last time applying was three years ago and my MCAT was atrocious (496). I completely gave up hope and started looking at other career options. From my experience, the most important part of the process is BELIEVING IN YOURSELF. Set goals, dream big, and be confident!! It wasn't easy, let me tell you, but not much worth celebrating comes easily. Don't give up if this is truly your dream. You got this!

My first score was a 494, then 502, then 513! Resiliency is key!!

1 hour ago, med71 said:

Congrats on your acceptance! Wondering if you have any advice on improving your interview score. 

Thanks! For the interview, I did three main things: 

1. I started listening to medical podcasts (CMAJ and White Coat Black Art are great ones). This gave me an idea of how to professionally talk about medical issues and also expanded my knowledge on topics relevant to the MMI (social determinants of health etc).

2. I made a quizlet with MMI questions I found on the internet and recorded myself answering the questions (with a timer). I watched them back and wrote down what I thought was good and what could be improved. This technique was actually recommended to me by the Dean of Admissions at MUN when I met with him to discuss reapplying.

3. I looked at my supplemental and wrote down everything I learned from each activity and why it was important to me. This helped me to identify strong talking points and also allowed me to speak confidently about myself and my experiences. 

I hope this helps!!

On 3/24/2021 at 3:01 PM, PickMePickMe said:

I think once you submit your deposit but I am not sure? Thats all it says on my letter. 

Do we really have until May 19th to answer them? This is how I interpret my letter, but I'm surprised we're given that much time. Just want to double check that I'm understanding this correctly and not throwing away my seat by waiting till other letters are sent out.

1 hour ago, SmallTownGal said:

Do we really have until May 19th to answer them? This is how I interpret my letter, but I'm surprised we're given that much time. Just want to double check that I'm understanding this correctly and not throwing away my seat by waiting till other letters are sent out.

I was my only interview, so I have already paid my deposit :D

3 hours ago, SmallTownGal said:

Yeah, you should be ok if you pay the 500 deposit. It is clarified on the website that paying the deposit means the offer is accepted: https://medicine.dal.ca/departments/core-units/admissions/accepted-applicants.html

On 3/24/2021 at 8:49 PM, IncomingMed said:

IP (PEI) Accepted

MCAT: 506

GPA: 3.8

Strong work experience in healthcare, professional MSc, strong ECs in management and public roles. 

Would you mind sharing what type of health care work experience? I am a registered nurse and would like to know what work experience I can get involved in that would benefit my application

On 3/24/2021 at 9:41 PM, vbear said:

Accepted IP NS (and still in shock)

GPA: 3.7

MCAT: 499 (womp)

I think being a RN helped my app a ton, since my academics were nothing special. Second time applying. 

Even though I’m a bit of an outlier, I hope people with similar academic scores take comfort in that I think it’s really not all about grades, but more important to improve in being able to communicate your awesome experiences to the adcoms. That’s my take from the application experience. 

For those who are unsuccessful this round, I was there too once, feeling down and confused as to what to do. If medicine is your dream, keep working at it. Get more experiences, improve in your writing and interviewing skills etc. Also hiring a coach/tutor is a good idea too, I did for this application and found having another perspective very helpful. 

I am a RN also applying. What type of RN experience did you have?

On 3/27/2021 at 9:03 PM, SmallTownGal said:

If you want to go to Dal you can just pay your deposit (I did). But if like some others (especially OOP) are waiting for results from other Med schools, you can wait!