Premed 101 Forums

CaRMS 2021 Interviews--DISCUSSIONS

8 minutes ago, NoMatchNoProblem said:

So that would mean that it's very easy for them to modify if ever a mistake is found right?

I find the delay baffling. Because an algorithm that has been run so many years in a row shouldn’t really be changing, and there shouldn’t be mistakes. (The base code and libraries can change so sure there’s new bugs and maintenance, but this is not the type of code that should have many opportunities for new problems to creep in, and that should all be testable ahead of time). And the algorithm itself should take less than a minute to run...

13 minutes ago, frenchpress said:

I find the delay baffling. Because an algorithm that has been run so many years in a row shouldn’t really be changing, and there shouldn’t be mistakes. (The base code and libraries can change so sure there’s new bugs and maintenance, but this is not the type of code that should have many opportunities for new problems to creep in, and that should all be testable ahead of time). And the algorithm itself should take less than a minute to run...

Totally - I agree 100%. It’s tried and true. I don’t know what manual things they’re checking are at this point. 

Just now, frenchpress said:

Any idea what the ‘reversions’ are?

Reversions allow the Postgraduate Medical Education Office to submit instructions to CaRMS to transfer potentially unfilled positions from one program to another during the running of match.

The goal of reversions is to match the maximum amount of applicants to programs, where able. 

Positions can only be transferred from a program to another during the running of the match if it has positions that have not been filled. 

I think most would rather a couple days delay (which has become shorter and shorter over the last few years) to have a confirmed result than potentially getting an incorrect result à la the Royal College in 2011. tbf that was the result of a manual error, but I think it makes sense to err on the side of caution with the additional 3rd party audit, etc.

56 minutes ago, lolz3 said:

I think most would rather a couple days delay (which has become shorter and shorter over the last few years) to have a confirmed result than potentially getting an incorrect result à la the Royal College in 2011. tbf that was the result of a manual error, but I think it makes sense to err on the side of caution with the additional 3rd party audit, etc.

yeah i was going to say computers are less likely to make mistakes than the humans, especially in an award winning algorithm that has been used multiple times but yes i do get the delay for a few days and yes have noticed it's increasingly shorter. they made it specifically shorter this year due to covid, in fact the entire process was shortened which I think should be the norm generally going forward. No need to drag the process out longer than it needs to be. 

15 minutes ago, Haruba said:

Anyone else have crippling anxiety about match day?? Doing anything I can to occupy my day (hard b/c of COVID restrictions) but my mind keeps drifting back to it. I'm so anxious that in ~1.5weeks its going to be decided what specialty I'm in / how far I am from my loved ones. I just want it to be over :unsure:

Yup! It’s def kicking in. Trying not to think about how I could end up separated from my partner but focusing on the LMCC for now. I have faith things work out the way they’re meant to and lots of people end up in programs not their first choice and are really happy. And in the mean time just watching tv shows and trying to enjoy some of this nice weather! 

1 hour ago, Haruba said:

Anyone else have crippling anxiety about match day?? Doing anything I can to occupy my day (hard b/c of COVID restrictions) but my mind keeps drifting back to it. I'm so anxious that in ~1.5weeks its going to be decided what specialty I'm in / how far I am from my loved ones. I just want it to be over :unsure:

Yes, the uncertainty really really sucks. I’m trying to mentally prepare myself for the worst but hoping for the best.

Sending hugs your way!!! 10 days more!!

Is anyone else surprisingly chill about this? I am 100% type A, and definitely the anxiety comes in gut-punching waves, but overall I feel so much more at ease than I was waiting for interviews.  I think knowing the date helps.  I also feel conflicted about wanting time to speed up, because at least now I have hope lol 

2 hours ago, MedHopeful93 said:

Is anyone else surprisingly chill about this? I am 100% type A, and definitely the anxiety comes in gut-punching waves, but overall I feel so much more at ease than I was waiting for interviews.  I think knowing the date helps.  I also feel conflicted about wanting time to speed up, because at least now I have hope lol 

I think the fact that everything is out of our hands now until Match Day has a sort of pacifying effect, at least some of the time. Every so often the impulse to want to control the outcome kicks in futilely and the anxiety kicks up a notch but yeah, for me now it's mostly a medium level sense of anticipation rather than full body stress like with interviews.

5 minutes ago, Persephone said:

I think the fact that everything is out of our hands now until Match Day has a sort of pacifying effect, at least some of the time. Every so often the impulse to want to control the outcome kicks in futilely and the anxiety kicks up a notch but yeah, for me now it's mostly a medium level sense of anticipation rather than full body stress like with interviews.

I feel similarly! The stress has dissipated quite a bit over the last couple days since the rank lists were due, more than I expected.

1 hour ago, frenchpress said:

I feel similarly! The stress has dissipated quite a bit over the last couple days since the rank lists were due, more than I expected.

Same. It comes in waves for me but for the most part I'm fairly chill. Definitely was WAY more anxious waiting for interviews, and the days leading up to April 8th