Premed 101 Forums

OT/PT accepted/waitlist/decline forum - 2021 cycle

14 minutes ago, PTPT12345 said:

Got accepted to Ottawa PT, but I’m on the waitlist for Western and Queens PT. Is there a way to accept Ottawa but stay on the waitlist for the two other schools? Or will it take me off automatically? When I go to ORPAS it says I can either “firmly” or “provisionally” accept...then it says I can select I would like to still be considered for...so does that mean I will stay on the waitlist even if I provisionally accept?

I believe a firm acceptance takes you off of the wait list for other schools. A provisional acceptance would be an acceptance for now in case you don’t get off any wait lists, but you can change to a firm acceptance of a wait list option if you get off it. 

Hi everyone! Thought I'd share my information for anyone who is interested.

Applied: All OT - UofT, Western, and McMaster
Accepted: UofT, Western
Waitlisted: /
Rejected: McMaster
GPA: sub-gpa 3.80
Perceived strength of essays/interviews/references: My first time applying. No interviews. I think the CASPer likely went well. I have no direct OT experience. Plenty of research experience related to clinical psychology and psychiatry, also with an honours thesis in cognitive neuroscience. Experience coaching children soccer and teaching dance. Coordinated two programs - one for promoting children's helmet safety awareness and one completing continued education with adults who have developmental disabilities. HBSc. Degree in Cognitive Sciences and minor in Neuroscience. Now working as a developmental support worker. My references know me quite well. 

Will be declining my spot at Toronto. Good luck to everyone on waitlists! 

I may also decline my spot at Western soon as I am really struggling in choosing between OT and SLP. Any insight is very appreciated! :)

3 hours ago, PhysioOT98 said:

Didn't get into any of the programs i applied to :( Hoping to apply again next year to improve my overall application. Anyone got any advice towards the type of work experience to get until the next application cycle that would help with improving application?

Its okay, this year especially was incredibly tough!

If I have any advise its honestly getting a job in research or any health setting. My GPA was on the lower end and I got into UoT OT solely (I believe at least) for my experience as I did a fourth year thesis, a masters degree and work in dietary in long term care which allowed me to see these different rehabilitations used in everyday scenarios! I also was confident I wasn't going to get in this year so I contacted a few OT's at my work and around my home and set up volunteering which would have turned into an actual job with them if I didn't get in. Try to get any experience you can!!

29 minutes ago, OTtobe1 said:

Applied: All OT - UofT, Western, McMaster and Queen's 
Rejected: McMaster, Queen's 
GPA: sub-gpa 3.79 
Perceived strength of essays/interviews/references: My first time applying. No interviews. I think the CASPer likely went well. I have no direct OT experience. Plenty of research experience related to clinical psychology and psychiatry, also with an honours thesis in cognitive neuroscience. Experience coaching children soccer and teaching dance. Coordinated two programs - one for promoting children's helmet safety awareness and one completing continued education with adults who have developmental disabilities. HBSc. Degree in Cognitive Sciences and minor in Neuroscience. Now working as a developmental support worker. My references know me quite well. 

I may also decline my spot at Western soon as I am really struggling in choosing between OT and SLP. Any insight is very appreciated! :)

I wish I had the requirements for SLP, it sounds like such an amazing profession but I had my heart set on OT and my undergrad being only 3 years I didn't have much leeway. Either one you choose will be absolutely amazing, they're both great professions! I hope someone on here can help you out or give you any direction because I wouldn't be 100% sure either! 

Applied: All PT - UofT, Western, McMaster and Queen's 
Accepted: UofT
Waitlisted: Western, McMaster (low placing so no chance of getting in)
Rejected: Queen's 
GPA: sub-gpa 3.87

2nd time applying, last year I applied to UofT and McMaster, wasn't invited to the CAP and rejected at Mac.

My experiences are pretty avg imo. I had volunteering experience at the physio clinic on my school's campus, as a developmental coach for my elementary school basketball team, and I am also active in giving therapeutic exercise advice to people who share my non visible disability. My work experiences are related to retail and the labor industry as part of my father's business.

I believe I had very strong reference letters. I took all of my prof's courses which were in a small setting (12 people in my 4th year advanced topic course for e.g.) so I was able to really get to know my prof closely. My physio volunteering supervisor was my other reference, and I believe she also gave me a strong letter as I was very active at the clinic!

If anyone who didn't get accepted to UofT wants some advice, feel free to DM me. I'm happy to give some pointers on Casper and the CAP exam seeing as to that's probably why I was accepted! I probably am not the person for advice on KIRA and personal submissions clearly :lol:

12 minutes ago, Physio11 said:

Hey guys,

This might be a dumb question but does anyone know if universities inform applicants right away if they are on a waitlist or do they receive rejection letters and then are added to a waitlist later?

You get an email if you are rejected or if you are on the waitlist 

Applied (OT): McMaster, Queens, Wester, UofT 
Accepted: Queens, UofT, McMaster
Waitlisted:
Rejected: Western 

c-gpa: 3.86 and s-gpa: 3.89

I think I wrote strong essays which helped for UofT and Queens. For the trends in OT, I discussed how OT's can work with transgender individuals for certain aspects of their social and medical transition, which although is not a common "trend", I think it was creative and maybe stood out. One of my references came from my time studying abroad which also brought a unique perspective. I have no OT experience but I volunteered with Children's Aid Society and at Parkwood's Mental Health Facility throughout undergrad. I had a lot of anxiety while taking the CASPer and did not perform well. However, I found McMaster's Zoom MMI process pretty seamless and comfortable. I am leaning towards UofT (downtown campus) currently. I will try to remember to reply to this post when I have decided, so those on waitlists can move up!  

1 hour ago, OTtobe1 said:

SLP is great, a friend is in this program and is enjoying it very much. She said it is extremely rewarding- interesting and more! Plus an added bonus is at the end of it the job pays extremely well! Goodluck with your choice I wish I thought of this career sooner!

1 hour ago, OTtobe1 said:

SLP is great, a friend is in this program and is enjoying it very much. She said it is extremely rewarding- interesting and more! Plus an added bonus is at the end of it the job pays extremely well! Goodluck with your choice I wish I thought of this career sooner!

4 hours ago, lololiver said:

Hey! I’m pretty much exactly the same as you! Accepted to OT at Western and Mac, waitlisted at UT! I’m still thinking about my options but I’m leaning towards Mac for the program structure and location 

Got rejected from Mac, amazing you both got accepted! Congratulations, my friend Emily just graduated from Mac and is working at a hospital and has a solid job. She worked at another place before hand but was able to find a job right out of the program! Hope that helps with any decisions. 

1 minute ago, PTApplicant2021 said:

Applied: PT - UofT, Western, Queens 
Accepted: -
Waitlisted: UofT, Western (Upper 1/3), Queens 
GPA: sub-gpa 3.93 

What are my chances? lol 

Adding to this- I also got waitlisted for UofT and Western (upper 1/3) for PT. definitely would like to know the chances of being accepted. 

17 minutes ago, PT24 said:

Adding to this- I also got waitlisted for UofT and Western (upper 1/3) for PT. definitely would like to know the chances of being accepted. 

Do you know if we can find out where we are in waitlist for u of t? 

HI EVERYONEEE! Congrats on your acceptance - currently debating between UOFA OT (Accepted) or UOFT (hopefully once I'm off waitlist!) OT; going to be declining queens OT and western OT. 

Is anyone here attending UOFA OT - I'm from BC so would love to make a group chat or Facebook group to discuss living/program etc! If so SHOOT ME A MESSAGE!

M

Applied: PT at McMaster, Queens, U of T, Western, UofA, Dalhousie, UBC
Accepted: Queens, U of T, Western 
Waitlisted: UofA, Dalhousie
Rejected: UBC
GPA: c-gpa 3.86 and s-gpa 3.93

Perceived strength of essays/interviews/references: 

I think my Casper was done pretty well. My essays and references were also pretty good. The references were from 2 of my professors whom I have only known for about 4 months at the time and one from a Physiotherapist I had done a Co-op placement at. I think my Mac interview was okay but I felt VERY confident with the CAP. 

In terms of extracurriculars, I volunteered at a PT clinic for about 800+ hours, at the hospital for 60+hours, and another program where I worked with individuals with cardiovascular disease. I also had a co-op placement at a Physiotherapy clinic. The only research experience I had was a 4 month internship that I did as a course offered at my university. 

I am not sure what offer to accept so if anyone has any input I will greatly appreciate it! I really want to go to UofT as it is rated the best school for PT; however, I have heard that the environment is not the best. Not sure if that is just an undergrad thing or if it applies to masters as well. 

19 hours ago, prayingforOT96 said:

Me as well, waitlisted for western and toronto!! Anyone know from previous years how waitlisting was? did you ever move from the list? I'm not very hopeful because I have no idea how many people they waitlist but its still giving me slight hope!! 

I think it all depends from year to year. Last year I was 69th on the waitlist at McMaster and in the middle of the waitlist for Western so like anywhere between 100-200th place and I never got a call. 

19 minutes ago, ptletmein said:

Does anyone know how long the pt waitlist is for mcmaster and how much it moves? I'm on the pt waitlist for mcmaster but my ranking is pretty low so i don't know why they didn't just reject me....

How do you know if you are high or low? Mine said #103?

1 hour ago, Futureptgirl said:

Anyone going to western for PT? I would love to connect with some of you! Message me :)

Hey! I have just accepted my offer to Western!! I'd love to connect! Do you happen to know of any facebook groups that have been started yet?