Premed 101 Forums

OT/PT accepted/waitlist/decline forum - 2021 cycle

1 minute ago, HarDaPT said:

How do you know if you are high or low? Mine said #103?

Isn't that number what your position is in line? I thought, using your number as an example, that it means there's 102 more people ahead of you in the waiting list no? Someone correct me if I'm wrong about this

7 minutes ago, ptletmein said:

Isn't that number what your position is in line? I thought, using your number as an example, that it means there's 102 more people ahead of you in the waiting list no? Someone correct me if I'm wrong about this

That is what I assumed but would that be considered mid or low?

Applied: UofT, UofA (OOP), UBC (IP), Western, Mac (ALL PT)
Accepted: UBC, UofT, UofA edmonton campus, Mac
Waitlisted: Western (middle section)
Rejected: 
GPA: cgpa 3.87 (if I recall correctly), sgpa 3.93 (maybe 3.92) (ORPAS SCALE)
Perceived strength of essays/interviews/references: 

BC resident!!!! Was my second time applying to UBC and first time applying to the rest of the schools 

I think my casper went well and MMI's went really well (I did practice quite a bit)

I am thankful for the offers but have decided on UBC and will be declining my other offers so there will be movement on the waitlist!!

I want to remind everyone that rejections do not define us and to remain hopeful in these times and please do not give up!!

I am a first time applicant and I applied to McMaster PT and OT and UofT PT. Unfortunately I didn’t make either of these schools. I have a sgpa of 3.81. I didn’t feel too confident after the kira talent. Tbh I feel very hopeless and have no idea on how to make my application better. It’s also very hard to find places to volunteer due to covid. Is there anyone who is/was in a similar boat. 

38 minutes ago, PTsoon said:

I am a first time applicant and I applied to McMaster PT and OT and UofT PT. Unfortunately I didn’t make either of these schools. I have a sgpa of 3.81. I didn’t feel too confident after the kira talent. Tbh I feel very hopeless and have no idea on how to make my application better. It’s also very hard to find places to volunteer due to covid. Is there anyone who is/was in a similar boat. 

Between my first and second year of applying I took a couple of online courses to boost my GPA (make sure they are third or fourth year courses to be valid). Also if you are graduated I’d try and find a job perhaps as a PTA or kinesiologist to get great experience. For me I believe my experiences helped me write a better letter of intent and prepared me well for the interviews. And the GPA averages of accepted classes are crazy high now so taking a couple courses would never hurt! 

43 minutes ago, PTKate said:

Between my first and second year of applying I took a couple of online courses to boost my GPA (make sure they are third or fourth year courses to be valid). Also if you are graduated I’d try and find a job perhaps as a PTA or kinesiologist to get great experience. For me I believe my experiences helped me write a better letter of intent and prepared me well for the interviews. And the GPA averages of accepted classes are crazy high now so taking a couple courses would never hurt! 

Thank you! How do you apply for PTA, don’t they require a diploma certification?  Are there any courses you recommend perhaps through Athabasca? 

Does anyone have thoughts on the PT program at UofA vs McMaster? Initially UofA was my first choice but after getting into both, I'm wondering if the opportunities (specifically quality/funding of education and clinical placements) might be better in McMaster. I would appreciate anyone's input! 

32 minutes ago, PTsoon said:

Thank you! How do you apply for PTA, don’t they require a diploma certification?  Are there any courses you recommend perhaps through Athabasca? 

I graduated with a bachelors in Human Kinetics so they considered it similar enough to the PTA program and my volunteer experiences shadowing physios in a clinic qualified me for the job I landed. Some employers accept 4 year degrees in a Kin or Human Kinetics as qualified. 

9 hours ago, Physioletsgo said:

For anyone on the UofA waitlist, do you know how soon we can e-mail them to ask whereabouts we are on the waitlist? Going off of previous posts from previous years, apparently after the 17th? Has anyone reached out and asked already? Thanks!

I emailed them right away and was able to get an approximate area on the waiting list! I emailed them Monday and got a reply just yesterday :)

Edit: I just realized you were talking about OT! Sorry I have not emailed them yet!