Premed 101 Forums
  1. General Premed and Med School Topics

1. General Premed Discussions

Premed topics on Canadian med school admissions. Specific med school topics go below in their respective medical school forums.

An area for Canadian medical students to interact and share information.

Non-medical discussions go here.

Discuss research topics and opportunities here, including NSERC.

5. Non-Traditional Applicants/Grad Students

A forum for non-standard applicants who have taken a less direct pathway to medicine or dentistry. Discussions including applications, family, and career changes.

Discuss MCAT review courses and strategies for the Medical College Admissions Test.

Got a medical school interview? Debates, discussions, and ethical scenarios go here.

1. Dental Student General Discussions

An area for Canadian dental students to interact and share information.

An area for Canadian optometry students and applicants to interact and share information.

An area for Canadian veterinary students and applicants to interact and share information.

An area for Canadian podiatry students and applicants to interact and share information.

5. Physician Assistant and Nurse Practitioner Discussions

An area for Canadian PA and NP students and applicants to interact and share information.

An area for Canadian nursing students and applicants to interact and share information.

An area for Canadian pharmacy students and applicants to interact and share information.

8. Physiotherapy and Occupational Therapy Discussions

An area for Canadian physiotherapy and occupational therapy students and applicants to interact and share information.

1. General Ontario Discussions (OMSAS)

General Ontario med school topics: eg. tuition, seats, cutoffs, OMSAS applications.

1. General Quebec Discussions

General Quebec premed and med school discussions, including CEGEP.

1. 19.5k

1. 56.4k
  7. Resources for Med School, Residencies, and Practising Physicians

1. Med School Orientation 101

Incoming med student? Discussion on Orientation topics: eg. financial aid (loans, LOC's), insurance, etc.

Doing your basic sciences? Share links on the basic sciences and the USMLE Step 1.

3. Clerkship Rotations and Electives (Med 3 and 4)

On the wards? Links for electives, clinical medicine, and the USMLE Step 2 and MCCQE/LMCC Part 1 exams.

Prepping for CaRMS? Discuss strategies for your CV's, LOR's, interviews, etc.

Discussions on Family Medicine, Community Medicine, Occupational Medicine, Emergency Medicine, Internal Medicine, Obstetrics/Gynecology, Pediatrics, and Psychiatry.

6. Surgery and Surgical Subspecialty Residencies

Discussions on General Surgery, Cardiac Surgery, Neurosurgery, Ophthalmology, Orthopedic Surgery, Otolaryngology, Plastic Surgery, and Urology.

7. Diagnostics, Imaging, and Therapeutics Residencies

Discussions on Radiology, Nuclear Medicine, Radiation Oncology, Pathology and Lab Medicine.

Discussions on Anesthesiology, Dermatology, Medical Genetics, Neurology, and Physiatry.

9. General Resident Physician Discussions

An area for Canadian residents to interact and share information. Find physician salaries here.

1. 28.6k
  9. Information Exchange (Book reviews, For Sale, and Housing)

1. Textbook and Equipment Reviews

Your Consumer Reports for medical textbooks and equipment.

Your place to sell old premed and medical items (eg. MCAT/DAT supplies, textbooks, etc). No dealers please.

A venue for finding short and long-term housing for premed and med students.

Load More
    You don't have permission to chat.
    • Call premiums and teaching premiums are added every month even if not on call or not teaching. If you're in a specialty that does a lot of call that kind of sucks because the call money gets distributed equally to all residents in Quebec (regardless if you do lots of call or not throughout your residency).  ANy time you do a stat day, you can get paid x2 I believe or take a lieu day (ie another day off) during the rotation. Otherwise there aren't many other bonuses that I am aware of.  Salary when I was a PGY1 was about 1600 every 2 weeks I believe. Its likely higher now. I am currently in my final year of residency getting paid 2k every 2 weeks. Both figures are post-tax.   
    • Hello. Did anyone see any changes on their med portal?
    • I guess I will post this! Cuz I been looking at these stats since high school! Accepted/Waitlisted/Regrets: Accepted In Province (IP)/ Out of Province (OOP): IP AGPA (x.xx/4.5): 4.40 MCAT (xx.xx/528): 511 CASPer: 4nd Quintile Rural/Non-Rural:  None MMI: Not that good  But I guess it was good lol Advanced Academics (PhD, pubs, academic appointment): None SES: Multiple
    • Oui biensur, malheureusement UdeM ne sont pas transparent avec ces affaires là  mais ça reste pratique pour ceux qui veulent avoir une idée dans quel programme appliquer !
    • Admise en date de hier, gpa de 3.87/4.0 (neuro à mcgill, aucune idée pour la CRU) et casper francais q3. Je compte désister si je suis admise en med
    • Si JAMAIS quelqu'un a des données plus récentes pour Sciences Biologiques je suis preneuse Merci ! 
    • I got my U of M rejection letter today.  I'm not surprised, I'm out of province. My GPA is 3.81, so since they only accept ~5% out of province I was expecting not to get in since no doubt other OOP applicants have higher GPAs. 
    • Salut ! Est-ce que quelqu'un sait c'était quoi le rang sur la liste d'attente de la dernière personne acceptée en physio à UdeS en 2023 dans la catégorie universitaire? J'arrive pas à trouver les statistiques séparées selon catégorie collégiale et universitaire sur leur site haha. Merci d'avance ;)) 
    • Ahh okay oui ça je savais que ça existait, mais c'est pas les équivalents officiels et ça change chaque année. Je pensais que tu faisais référence à des équivalents officiels 
    • I am starting residency soon in Quebec and I am looking for some information regarding the salary for residents. I looked at the FMRQ site and all but I'd love to hear from past/current residents. The gross annual salary in PGY1 is $49,258 which I estimated is ~$4,104/month (before tax).  1. Is the call premium ($607) automatically added to the $4,104 every month?  2. What about the teaching premium ($240), do we get also get that every month starting in PGY1? Even if not teaching.  3. Any other bonuses I could take advantage of?  4. What's the actual salary for a PGY1 in Quebec monthly/annually?  I am moving from another province to Quebec and boy do I have debt! I am starting to worry when it comes to my ability to repay my LOC (just the interest) and my federal loans (I don't quality for the interest free program as a medical resident). Based on my budget, it seems that everything will be really tight but I have heard that Quebec residents still live quite comfortably. Is there anything I am missing in the above?
    • Hey all, I'm a current resident, LOC currently with Scotiabank (have the Visa Infinite and Amex Gold). Wondering if I should swap to RBC for the WestJet card (or if there are any other LOCs with better CCs out there atm - main advantage is the checked bags). Has anyone done a comparison recently? Also the big incentives come out mid summer right?  
    • Salut guys ! Je suis un étudiant en médecine dentaire et je vous écris pour les admissions qui approchent à grands pas!!  Si vous accepter l’offre en DMD veuillez join ce link (facebook page) avec une preuve de la lettre d’acceptation: https://facebook.com/groups/980429350378589/
    • Rien n’est impossible, essaye de voir avec un bac de 3 ans en sciences infirmières à UDEM ! Tu peux effacer ta cote R complètement au bout de 2 ans, et si ça marche pas pour med dent, tu seras infirmière practicienne