Premed 101 Forums

OT/PT accepted/waitlist/decline forum - 2021 cycle

7 minutes ago, ot_lea2021 said:

As I mentioned in my post earlier...got into U of T for OT, but ultimately, really want to go to U of Alberta as I’m from there and my family lives in Edmonton. I got waitlisted there. I really hope that the Ontarians who got into both the Ontario universities and U Alberta choose to go an Ontario university. Any of you planning to do so?

I will be rescinding my U of Alberta acceptance and accept U of T :) 

1 minute ago, PendingOTgal said:

Can we accept an offer and then decline to accept another after? As in, accept the offer to ensure our spot in the program at one school but then when we hear about the waitlisted, decline and accept the other offer.... hope this makes sense, sleepy brain. 

Yes but I think you'd have to pay a non-refundable deposit 

4 minutes ago, PendingOTgal said:

Can we accept an offer and then decline to accept another after? As in, accept the offer to ensure our spot in the program at one school but then when we hear about the waitlisted, decline and accept the other offer.... hope this makes sense, sleepy brain. 

Yes. But the waitlist email I got from U of T said they will act on the waiting list by mid-June, which passed the provisional to firm acceptance deadline (June 6 written on ORPAS), so I am kind of worried if that would work, not sure about other Ontario universities.

Hey guys I just wanted to come on here and say for the people who didn't get in this year, if OT or PT is your dream continue to chase it!! Its really not about if but when. I got rejections from all schools last year for OT and I went back for another year and I just got in! Don't lose hope and keep fighting for your dream. 

1 minute ago, EkamhopefulOT said:

Hey guys I just wanted to come on here and say for the people who didn't get in this year, if OT or PT is your dream continue to chase it!! Its really not about if but when. I got rejections from all schools last year for OT and I went back for another year and I just got in! Don't lose hope and keep fighting for your dream. 

May I ask if you upgraded your application from the previous year through courses or volunteer work?

33 minutes ago, lololiver said:

Those who got accepted to Mac OT, did anyone receive a scholarship? It's in the pdf attachment to the admission offer email. I'm wondering if this is automatic/for everyone who got in

Congrats! Would you be open to sharing more about this? I got into Mac but my PDF made no mention of any scholarship. Do you know if it was based on your average? 

14 minutes ago, OTapplicant98 said:

Hi all, I wanted to ask if anyone has any insights/opinions on the OT program at UofA vs UofT- pros/cons of fieldwork placement, area, professors, career outlook etc. I'm trying to make a decision but finding it difficult! Congrats to all and good luck :)

I’m working on a research team right now with a post-doc fellow who went back for her OT degree. She’s about to graduate from UofA’s OT program and shared that their curriculum is not as up-to-date to Ontario programs. She said she wouldn’t recommend it (so I didn’t apply). Also, UofT will likely have richer placements as there are many Toronto hospitals and clinical settings to do placements in. Just my 2 cents :) 

I also want to echo what some people have said above. I applied FOUR TIMES and finally just got accepted. I've spent the last three years taking courses to upgrade my GPA and doing everything I could to make my application more competitive. Hopefully this gives some perspective to how difficult the application process can be. Stay passionate, stay resilient and never give up! I believe in you.