Premed 101 Forums

UofT Interview Invites/Regrets 2020/2021

Just a PSA guys regarding doing a grad/masters/phd degree: Don't pursue solely to gain an 'advantage'. That's a waste of resources just to be put into a different stream of applicants. Really enjoy what the degree has to offer and don't bullshit yourself. I personally learned so much from the grad research experience.

17 minutes ago, TheFlyGuy said:

That's correct, the determination of your graduate status occurs at the time of application, so if you're still in a course-based degree on Oct 1st when you submit on OMSAS, you'll be assessed as an undergad for that cycle.

Thank you for confirming! Definitely helps so much with planning out what to do for future.

55 minutes ago, TheFlyGuy said:

That's correct, the determination of your graduate status occurs at the time of application, so if you're still in a course-based degree on Oct 1st when you submit on OMSAS, you'll be assessed as an undergad for that cycle.

If this is the case do you know why my grad supervisor was contacted for verification? If me being in my last year of a course-based masters wasn't relevant to my application, why would they reach out to my grad supervisor? 

19 minutes ago, Canikickit120 said:

If this is the case do you know why my grad supervisor was contacted for verification? If me being in my last year of a course-based masters wasn't relevant to my application, why would they reach out to my grad supervisor? 

It's irrelevant for "file review score" purposes (no extra credit), but they would still need to know if you intend on finishing your course-based masters before you potentially matriculate.  

2 hours ago, PreMed#219099 said:

I feel like they should've sent it by now? Seeing as the first wave meant 3 weeks and 2 days between invite and interview

Or maybe I have it wrong lol

Yeah I'm kinda annoyed by the fact that the first wave had more time to prep. And I don't think the "you should be preparing in advance, regardless" is a valid excuse.

6 hours ago, abcd1288 said:

Yeah I'm kinda annoyed by the fact that the first wave had more time to prep. And I don't think the "you should be preparing in advance, regardless" is a valid excuse.

As unfortunate as it is, this is a reality for all medical schools. For example, Ottawa released their interview invites all in one day on Jan 29th with the earliest date (from what I’ve seen) being Feb 17th and latest being March 3rd which is almost a 2 week difference. I think UofT does the waves to try and mediate the difference in interview date times to actually try to make it more fair. I can see the frustration but unfortunately no system is going to be perfect :( 

6 hours ago, abcd1288 said:

I mean I was a bit sad that I will have prepped more for any of my other interviews than U of T just because it was first and a lot of the prep translates.

On 2/12/2021 at 8:06 AM, cptnlevi said:

Just a PSA guys regarding doing a grad/masters/phd degree: Don't pursue solely to gain an 'advantage'. That's a waste of resources just to be put into a different stream of applicants. Really enjoy what the degree has to offer and don't bullshit yourself. I personally learned so much from the grad research experience.

Hi, what would you recommend? Say to boost GPA? Thanks